GET TO KNOW: EWG's Criteria
EWG's research team has worked hard to develop a strict set of standards to be followed by all products that bear the EWG VERIFIED™ mark.
The EWG VERIFIED™ mark demonstrates to consumers that a product meets our strictest criteria. Download the full criteria document here.
EWG's criteria are based on a variety of health standards:
- Products must score a "green" in EWG's Skin Deep® database.
- Products cannot contain any ingredients on EWG's "Unacceptable" list, meaning ingredients with health, ecotoxicity and/or contamination concerns.
- Products cannot contain any ingredients on EWG's "Restricted" list, which do not meet the restriction set by authoritative bodies and industry institutions.
- Products must follow standard ingredient naming guidelines.
- Products must fully disclose all ingredients on the label, including ingredients used in fragrance.
- Product manufacturers must develop and follow current good manufacturing practices.
- Products must follow the European Union's requirements for labeling fragrance allergens.
- Products must follow the European Union's labeling guidelines for nanomaterials used in cosmetics.
- Product labels must indicate an expiration date or a "period of time after opening."
Companies with products bearing the EWG VERIFIED™ mark must:
- Commit to submitting all reports of product problems or serious adverse events to the U.S. Food and Drug Administration and to EWG.
- Agree that EWG has the right to perform random product testing to ensure that all products meet the provisions outlined in EWG's Criteria.
- Understand that EWG's Skin Deep® is dynamic and that the scoring system may change. They must understand that EWG's "Unacceptable" and "Restricted" lists will be reviewed annually and updated as needed, with a phase-in period to allow companies to comply with updates to maintain usage of the EWG VERIFIED™ mark.