GET TO KNOW: EWG's Criteria
EWG’s research team has worked hard to develop a strict set of standards for all products that bear the EWG VERIFIED™ mark.
The EWG VERIFIED™ mark demonstrates to consumers that a product meets our strictest criteria. Download the full criteria document here.
EWG’s criteria are based on a variety of health standards. Products that meet our standard must:
- Be formulated to minimize the potential for harm to people and the environment.
- Disclose all intentionally added ingredients, including those used in fragrance.
- Disclose all fragrance allergens and nanomaterials.
- Meet air quality standards.
- Pass microbial challenge tests to ensure they will be shelf stable for an appropriate period of time.
Companies with products bearing the EWG VERIFIED™ mark must:
- Disclose results of efficacy testing.
- Follow standard ingredient naming guidelines.
- Develop and follow best manufacturing practices.
- Commit to submitting all information on potential substantial product hazards to the Consumer Product Safety Commission; or to the Environmental Protection Agency if the product is a registered, or conditionally registered, disinfectant; and to EWG.
In addition, companies must:
- Agree that EWG has the right to perform random product testing to ensure that all products meet the provisions outlined in our criteria.
- Understand that EWG’s science and review is dynamic and that our “Unacceptable” and “Restricted” lists will be reviewed annually and updated as needed, with a phase-in period to allow companies to comply with updates so they may maintain the use of the EWG VERIFIED™ mark.