Peg 2 Cocamide
- Products with the EWG VERIFIED mark have met the program’s impurity and use restrictions based on EWG's review of the company's data.
Other ConcernsUse restrictions (low), Non-reproductive organ system toxicity (low), Irritation (skin, eyes, or lungs) (low), and Contamination concerns (high)
SYNONYMSPEG-2 COCAMIDE, POLYETHYLENE GLYCOL 100 COCONUT ACID AMIDE, and POLYOXYETHYLENE (2) COCONUT ACID AMIDE
Restricted: EWG VERIFIED products cannot contain this ingredient without adequate substantiation
PEG-2 Cocamide is a polyethylene glycol amide of coconut acid.
See how this product scores for common concerns.
LOWAllergies & Immunotoxicity
LOWDevelopmental and Reproductive Toxicity
- DATA SOURCES
Products with this Ingredient
Organ system toxicity (non-reproductive)
|Limited evidence of sense organ toxicity||Scorecard.org Toxicity Information|
|Determined safe for use in cosmetics, subject to concentration or use limitations - any||Open scientific literature|
Irritation (skin, eyes, or lungs)
|any irritation - weight of evidence unknown/unassessed||Open scientific literature|
Multiple, additive exposure sources
|Designated as safe for general or specific, limited use in food||FDA Food Additive Status|
|0 studies in PubMed science library may include information on the toxicity of this chemical||NLM PubMed|
- ED (Environmental Defense). 2006. Scorecard _ The Pollution Information Site. http://www.scorecard.org.
- Open scientific/peer reviewed literature
- FDA (U.S. Food and Drug Administration) 2006. Food Additive Status List. Downloaded from http://www.cfsan.fda.gov/%7Edms/opa-appa.html, Oct 16, 2006.
- NLM (National Library of Medicine). 2012. PubMed online scientific bibliography data. http://www.pubmed.gov.
Cosmetics and personal care products are not required to be tested for safety before being allowed on the market. The Skin Deep® scoring system was designed to help the public understand whether a product is safe to use or whether it contains ingredients of concern.
Every product and ingredient in Skin Deep gets a two-part score – one for hazard and one for data availability. The safest products score well by both measures, with a low hazard rating and a fair or better data availability rating.HOW WE DETERMINE SCORES
The Skin Deep ingredient hazard score, from 1 to 10, reflects known and suspected hazards linked to the ingredients. The EWG VERIFIED™ mark means a product meets EWG’s strictest criteria for transparency and health.
The Skin Deep data availability rating reflects the number of scientific studies about the product or ingredient in the published scientific literature.