Gold (Ci 77480)
- This ingredient’s score is higher if used in products that are inhalable (e.g., sprays, powders) because of respiratory concerns.
- Products with the EWG VERIFIED mark have met use restrictions and warnings based on EWG review of company data.
Other ConcernsEnhanced skin absorption, Use restrictions (high), and Non-reproductive organ system toxicity (low)
Restricted: EWG VERIFIED products cannot contain this ingredient without adequate substantiation
CI 77480 is classed chemically as an inorganic color. It consists of metallic gold.
See how this product scores for common concerns.
LOWAllergies & Immunotoxicity
LOWDevelopmental and Reproductive Toxicity
- DATA SOURCES
Products with this Ingredient
|daily use with SPF||20 products|
|facial moisturizer/treatment||13 products|
|brow liner||12 products|
|serums & essences||7 products|
|lip balm||4 products|
|around-eye cream||3 products|
|body oil||2 products|
|nail treatment||2 products|
|makeup primer||2 products|
|facial cleanser||1 products|
|setting powder/spray||1 products|
|body wash/cleanser||1 products|
|facial powder||1 products|
|lip gloss||1 products|
|eye shadow||1 products|
Enhanced skin absorption
|Nano-scale ingredients with potential to absorb into the skin||Open scientific literature|
|Suspected nano-scale ingredients with potential to absorb into the skin||Nanomaterial Database|
|Violation of government restrictions - Banned or found unsafe for use in cosmetics||CTFA International Cosmetic Ingredient Dictionary and Handbook|
Organ system toxicity (non-reproductive)
|Limited evidence of cardiovascular or blood toxicity||Scorecard.org Toxicity Information|
|Classified as not expected to be potentially toxic or harmful||Environment Canada Domestic Substance List|
|Limited evidence of any toxicity or allergies||Open scientific literature|
|Single case study detailing occupational hazards||National Library of Medicine HazMap|
|110220 studies in PubMed science library may include information on the toxicity of this chemical||NLM PubMed|
|Not suspected to be an environmental toxin||Environment Canada Domestic Substance List|
Persistence and bioaccumulation
|Not suspected to be bioaccumulative||Environment Canada Domestic Substance List|
- Open scientific/peer reviewed literature
- NanoWerk. 2007. Nanomaterial Database. Available online: http://www.nanowerk.com/phpscripts/n_dbsearch.php
- CTFA (Cosmetic, Toiletry and Fragrance Association). 2006. International Cosmetic Ingredient Dictionary and Handbook, 11th Edition. Color Additive Information. Washington, DC.
- ED (Environmental Defense). 2006. Scorecard _ The Pollution Information Site. http://www.scorecard.org.
- EC (Environment Canada). 2008. Domestic Substances List Categorization. Canadian Environmental Protection Act (CEPA) Environmental Registry.
- NLM (National Library of Medicine). 2006. HazMap — Occupational Exposure to Hazardous Agents.
- NLM (National Library of Medicine). 2012. PubMed online scientific bibliography data. http://www.pubmed.gov.
Cosmetics and personal care products are not required to be tested for safety before being allowed on the market. The Skin Deep® scoring system was designed to help the public understand whether a product is safe to use or whether it contains ingredients of concern.
Every product and ingredient in Skin Deep gets a two-part score – one for hazard and one for data availability. The safest products score well by both measures, with a low hazard rating and a fair or better data availability rating.HOW WE DETERMINE SCORES
The Skin Deep ingredient hazard score, from 1 to 10, reflects known and suspected hazards linked to the ingredients. The EWG VERIFIED® mark means a product meets EWG’s strictest criteria for transparency and health.
The Skin Deep data availability rating reflects the number of scientific studies about the product or ingredient in the published scientific literature.