ALOE BARBADENSIS (ALOE VERA) LEAF
Cancer: Ingredients linked to cancer in government, industry or academic studies or assessments.
Developmental & Reproductive Toxicity
Developmental and reproductive toxicity: Ingredients linked to developmental and reproductive toxicity, a broad class of health effects that range from infertility and reproductive organ cancers to birth defects and developmental delays in children.
Allergies & Immunotoxicity
Allergies and immunotoxicity: Ingredients linked to harm to the immune system, a class of health problems that manifest as allergic reactions or an impaired capacity to fight disease and repair damaged tissue in the body.
Products with this Ingredient
|body wash/cleanser||62 products|
|liquid hand soap||53 products|
|facial moisturizer/treatment||30 products|
|facial cleanser||21 products|
|bubble bath||18 products|
|shaving cream||16 products|
|bar soap||14 products|
|serums & essences||14 products|
|recreational sunscreen||10 products|
|shaving cream (men's)||8 products|
|hand sanitizer||8 products|
|hair color and bleaching||8 products|
|body firming lotion||8 products|
|hair styling aide||7 products|
|daily use with SPF||7 products|
|around-eye cream||6 products|
|lip gloss||6 products|
|makeup primer||6 products|
|baby soap||5 products|
|baby shampoo||5 products|
|hair treatment/serum||4 products|
|styling gel/lotion||3 products|
|after shave||3 products|
|body spray||3 products|
|polish remover||2 products|
|muscle/joint soreness||2 products|
|makeup remover||2 products|
|lip balm with SPF||2 products|
|setting powder/spray||2 products|
|foot moisturizer||2 products|
|baby wipes||1 products|
|styling mousse/foam||1 products|
|baby powder||1 products|
|lip balm||1 products|
|bath oil/salts/soak||1 products|
|nail treatment||1 products|
|baby lotion||1 products|
|after sun product||1 products|
|eye liner||1 products|
|facial powder||1 products|
|oil controller||1 products|
|eye shadow||1 products|
|baby sunscreen||1 products|
|baby bubble bath||1 products|
|damaged skin treatment||1 products|
|hair-loss treatment||1 products|
|beard care||1 products|
|beard cleanser||1 products|
|Possible human carcinogen||IARC (International Agency for Research on Cancer) 2016. Overall Evaluations of Carcinogenicity to Humans, as evaluated in IARC Monographs Volumes 1-113.|
|Cancer - strong evidence||NTP (National Toxicology Program) 2013. NTP TECHNICAL REPORT ON THE TOXICOLOGY AND CARCINOGENESIS STUDIES OF A NONDECOLORIZED WHOLE LEAF EXTRACT OF ALOE BARBADENSIS MILLER (ALOE VERA) IN F344/N RATS AND B6C3F1 MICE (DRINKING WATER STUDIES). NIH Publication No. 13-5910.|
|Limited or incomplete evidence of cancer according to safety/hazard data – scientific review cannot classify as human carcinogen due to data gaps||NTP (National Toxicology Program) 2010. NTP TECHNICAL REPORT ON THE PHOTOCOCARCINOGENESIS STUDY OF ALOE VERA in SKH-1 MICE. NIH Publication No. 10-5894|
|3 month rat study produced significant sperm damage||CIR (2006) 2006 CIR Compendium. Washington, Cosmetic Ingredient Review.|
|Determined safe for use in cosmetics, subject to concentration or use limitations - Safe for use in cosmetics with some qualifications||IJT 26(S2):1-50, 2007|
|Risk assessment method deficiencies and data gaps - Maximum reported "as used" concentration is basis of safety assessment by industry safety panel (Cosmetic Ingredient Review, CIR) - implicit safe concentration limit in product||IJT 26(S2):1-50, 2007|
|Missing safety data noted by cosmetic industry review||IJT 26(S2):1-50, 2007|
|877 studies in PubMed science library may include information on the toxicity of this chemical||NLM PubMed|
|Not suspected to be an environmental toxin||Environment Canada Domestic Substance List|
Multiple, additive exposure sources
|Designated as safe for general or specific, limited use in food||FDA Food Additive Status|
|Designated as safe for general or specific, limited use in food||FDA Everything Added to Food|
|Industry or government recommendations for safe use: restrictions on concentration, impurities, product types, or manufacturing methods - Determined safe for use in cosmetics up to a specified concentration limit||IJT 26(S2):1-50, 2007|
Organ system toxicity (non-reproductive)
|Classified as not expected to be potentially toxic or harmful||Environment Canada Domestic Substance List|
- IARC (International Agency for Research on Cancer) 2016. Overall Evaluations of Carcinogenicity to Humans, as evaluated in IARC Monographs Volumes 1-113.
- NTP (National Toxicology Program) 2013. NTP TECHNICAL REPORT ON THE TOXICOLOGY AND CARCINOGENESIS STUDIES OF A NONDECOLORIZED WHOLE LEAF EXTRACT OF ALOE BARBADENSIS MILLER (ALOE VERA) IN F344/N RATS AND B6C3F1 MICE (DRINKING WATER STUDIES). NIH Publication No. 13-5910.
- NTP (National Toxicology Program) 2010. NTP TECHNICAL REPORT ON THE PHOTOCOCARCINOGENESIS STUDY OF ALOE VERA in SKH-1 MICE. NIH Publication No. 10-5894
- CIR (2006) 2006 CIR Compendium. Washington, Cosmetic Ingredient Review.
- IJT 26(S2):1-50, 2007
- NLM (National Library of Medicine). 2012. PubMed online scientific bibliography data. http://www.pubmed.gov.
- EC (Environment Canada). 2008. Domestic Substances List Categorization. Canadian Environmental Protection Act (CEPA) Environmental Registry.
- FDA (U.S. Food and Drug Administration) 2006. Food Additive Status List. Downloaded from http://www.cfsan.fda.gov/%7Edms/opa-appa.html, Oct 16, 2006.
- FDA (U.S. Food and Drug Administration). 2008. EAFUS [Everything Added to Food]: A Food Additive Database. FDA Office of Food Safety and Applied Nutrition.
- This ingredient’s score is higher if a product likely contains the non-decolorized whole leaf aloe vera, which is known to cause cancer. The score will be lower if the decolorized version of the ingredient is used.
- Products with the EWG VERIFIED mark have met use restrictions and warnings based on EWG review of company data.
ABOUT THE SKIN DEEP® RATINGS
EWG provides information on personal care product ingredients from the published scientific literature, to supplement incomplete data available from companies and the government. The ratings below indicate the relative level of concern posed by exposure to the ingredients in this product - not the product itself - compared to other product formulations. The ratings reflect potential health hazards but do not account for the level of exposure or individual susceptibility, factors which determine actual health risks, if any. Learn more | Legal Disclaimer
ABOUT EWG VERIFIED™
Beyond providing Skin Deep® as an educational tool for consumers, EWG offers its EWG VERIFIED™ mark as a quick and easily identifiable way of conveying personal care products that meet EWG's strict health criteria. Before a company can use EWG VERIFIED™ on such products, the company must show that it fully discloses the products' ingredients on their labels or packaging, they do not contain EWG ingredients of concern, and are made with good manufacturing practices, among other criteria. Note that EWG receives licensing fees from all EWG VERIFIED™ member companies that help to support the important work we do. Learn more | Legal Disclaimer