EWG is a non-profit organization based in Washington, DC whose mission is to empower people to live healthier lives in healthier environments.
EWG achieves its mission through innovative science translated for a large public audience and made actionable through research, online databases, advocacy and consumer guides. We believe everyone has a right to clean drinking water, healthy food and products that do not have chemicals we know to cause harm to personal health.
To drive consumer awareness, EWG has invested millions of dollars and years of work in robust, online databases that house product scores for more than 100,000 products in categories like personal care, cleaning supplies and food. These databases are the anchor to EWG’s large online community, which now totals almost 30 million people annually. Our key programs are 1) healthy living science, 2) investigative research 3) consumer education and 4) legislative lobbying.
We are a group of public health experts and data nerds who are dedicated to transforming the chemical safety movement into one that proactively protects public health.
And we are hiring!
EWG is seeking to hire an Associate Scientist to join our science team. The Associate Scientist will primarily assist EWG’s Healthy Living Science team to verify the health and safety of consumer products and maintain our popular consumer databases (Skin Deep® Database, Guide to Healthy Cleaning, Sunscreens Guide). The Associate Scientist will mainly support our fast growing EWG REVIEWED™ and EWG VERIFIED™ program. EWG VERIFIED™ is a licensing program that assesses and identifies products that meet EWG VERIFIED™ strict criteria. We started EWG VERIFIED™ to drive companies to create healthier, safer products.
The Associate Scientist will engage with companies interested in our databases and licensing program, communicate information about our programs and resources and collect and organize relevant documents.
- Analyze scientific research and databases from the perspective of public health to inform research and complete toxicological assessments of ingredients in consumer products
- Collaborate closely with EWG Senior Analysts, Analysts, Toxicologists, Scientists, and Program Administrators to provide scientific review of submissions to EWG's licensing program, EWG VERIFIED™
- Develop toxicological hazard/risk assessments by locating, compiling, interpreting, and summarizing information in publicly available online resources
- Assist with database maintenance and quality control
- Bachelors degree in chemistry, biochemistry, biology/life sciences, public health, or a related field with coursework in the chemical and life sciences
- Experience performing primary literature searches and reviews using PubMed, Google Scholar, and/or similar databases
- Familiarity with chemical and biological nomenclature and classification
- Excellent time management skills and ability to work on multiple projects simultaneously
- Ability to produce high quality work within strict deadlines
- Excellent teamwork and communication (written and oral) skills
- Experience with MS Excel
- Attention to detail and accurate data entry experience
- Knowledge of personal care product chemistry/formulation, industry practices and regulations
- Familiarity with the principles of toxicology, risk assessment, and analytical chemistry
- Course work in computer science and computer programming
Location: Washington, DC office
Benefits: Salary is commensurate with experience. EWG offers fully paid, excellent health care, paid parental leave, plus tax-deferred 403(b) plan, including matched contributions. It’s a casual, growing office with 40+ engaging co-workers.
EWG’s Commitment to Diversity and Inclusion:
EWG celebrates diversity and is committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. We are proud to foster a work environment that supports, inspires and respects all individuals. EWG does not discriminate against any employee or applicant on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex, citizenship, ancestry, marital status, family responsibilities, physical or mental disability, military or veteran status, medical condition, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity of expression, matriculation or political affiliation, or any other protected class recognized in any of the jurisdictions where EWG has offices or employees working. We adhere to these principles in all aspects of employment, including recruitment, hiring, training, or compensation and promotion.
How to Apply: Send cover letter and resume to Brett Dorow at [email protected]