Ci 45350 (D&C Yellow No. 7 Or 8)
- This ingredient’s score is higher if used in products intended for damaged skin due to increased risk of absorption.
- This ingredient’s score is higher if used in products intended for use around mouth due to increased risk of ingestion and absorption.
- This ingredient’s score is higher if used in products intended for use on lips due to increased risk of ingestion and absorption.
- This ingredient’s score is higher if used in products intended for use around the eyes due to increased risk of absorption.
- Products with the EWG VERIFIED mark have met use restrictions and warnings based on EWG review of company data.
Other ConcernsUse restrictions (high), Endocrine disruption (low), and Irritation (skin, eyes, or lungs) (low)
SYNONYMS2-(6-HYDROXY-3-OXO-(3H)-XANTHEN-9-YL)BENZOIC ACID, 3,6-DIHYDROXY SPIRO[ISOBENZOFURAN-1(3H,9'-[9H]XANTHAN]-3-ONE, CI 45350, CI 45350 (D&C YELLOW NO. 7 OR 8), D&C YELLOW 7, D&C YELLOW 8, D&C YELLOW NO. 7, D&C YELLOW NO. 8, DISODIUM 2-(3-OXO-6-OXIDOXANTHEN-9-YL)BENZOATE, FD&C YELLOW 7, FD&C YELLOW 8, JAPAN YELLOW 202(1), KI201, SPIRO[ISOBENZOFURAN-1(3H),9'-[9H]XANTHEN]-3-ONE, 3',6'-DIHYDROXY-, YELLOW 7, and YELLOW 8
Restricted: EWG VERIFIED products cannot contain this ingredient without adequate substantiation
Yellow 7 is classed chemically as a fluoran color.
See how this product scores for common concerns.
LOWAllergies & Immunotoxicity
LOWDevelopmental and Reproductive Toxicity
- DATA SOURCES
Products with this Ingredient
|Violation of government restrictions - Restricted in cosmetics; use, concentration, or manufacturing restrictions - Color additive approved by FDA for use in cosmetics: external use only||FDA Color Additive Status|
|One or more human case studies show possible any or allergenic effects||Open scientific literature|
|Limited evidence of any toxicity||Open scientific literature|
Irritation (skin, eyes, or lungs)
|Limited evidence of eye irritation||Open scientific literature|
|One or more in vitro tests on mammalian cells show positive mutation results||Open scientific literature|
|Associated with endocrine disruption||Open scientific literature|
|Not suspected to be an environmental toxin||Environment Canada Domestic Substance List|
Organ system toxicity (non-reproductive)
|Classified as not expected to be potentially toxic or harmful||Environment Canada Domestic Substance List|
Persistence and bioaccumulation
|Not suspected to be persistent||Environment Canada Domestic Substance List|
|Not suspected to be bioaccumulative||Environment Canada Domestic Substance List|
|Industry or government recommendations for safe use: restrictions on concentration, impurities, product types, or manufacturing methods - Color additive approved by FDA for use in cosmetics: external use only||FDA Color Additive Status|
|Industry or government recommendations for safe use: restrictions on concentration, impurities, product types, or manufacturing methods - Color Additives - Batch Certified by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration||CTFA International Cosmetic Ingredient Dictionary and Handbook|
|4356 studies in PubMed science library may include information on the toxicity of this chemical||NLM PubMed|
- FDA (U.S. Food and Drug Administration) 2006. Center for Food Safety and Applied Nutrition. Color Additive Status List. September 2006.
- Open scientific/peer reviewed literature
- EC (Environment Canada). 2008. Domestic Substances List Categorization. Canadian Environmental Protection Act (CEPA) Environmental Registry.
- CTFA (Cosmetic, Toiletry and Fragrance Association). 2006. International Cosmetic Ingredient Dictionary and Handbook, 11th Edition. Color Additive Information. Washington, DC.
- NLM (National Library of Medicine). 2012. PubMed online scientific bibliography data. http://www.pubmed.gov.
Cosmetics and personal care products are not required to be tested for safety before being allowed on the market. The Skin Deep® scoring system was designed to help the public understand whether a product is safe to use or whether it contains ingredients of concern.
Every product and ingredient in Skin Deep gets a two-part score – one for hazard and one for data availability. The safest products score well by both measures, with a low hazard rating and a fair or better data availability rating.HOW WE DETERMINE SCORES
The Skin Deep ingredient hazard score, from 1 to 10, reflects known and suspected hazards linked to the ingredients. The EWG VERIFIED™ mark means a product meets EWG’s strictest criteria for transparency and health.
The Skin Deep data availability rating reflects the number of scientific studies about the product or ingredient in the published scientific literature.