Cancer: Ingredients linked to cancer in government, industry or academic studies or assessments.
Developmental & Reproductive Toxicity
Developmental and reproductive toxicity: Ingredients linked to developmental and reproductive toxicity, a broad class of health effects that range from infertility and reproductive organ cancers to birth defects and developmental delays in children.
Allergies & Immunotoxicity
Allergies and immunotoxicity: Ingredients linked to harm to the immune system, a class of health problems that manifest as allergic reactions or an impaired capacity to fight disease and repair damaged tissue in the body.
Products with this Ingredient
|eye shadow||936 products|
|eye liner||266 products|
|nail polish||115 products|
|facial powder||98 products|
|brow liner||86 products|
|makeup primer||28 products|
|setting powder/spray||23 products|
|hair color and bleaching||22 products|
|bar soap||20 products|
|lip gloss||17 products|
|lip liner||14 products|
|lip balm||12 products|
|hand sanitizer||7 products|
|facial cleanser||6 products|
|body wash/cleanser||5 products|
|facial moisturizer/treatment||4 products|
|oil controller||4 products|
|BB cream||3 products|
|hair styling aide||3 products|
|other eye makeup||3 products|
|bath oil/salts/soak||3 products|
|CC cream||2 products|
|around-eye cream||1 products|
|hair treatment/serum||1 products|
|hair spray||1 products|
|daily use with SPF||1 products|
|foot cleansing||1 products|
|recreational sunscreen||1 products|
|liquid hand soap||1 products|
|According to FDA, this color additive is not permitted in lip products.||FDA 2010. Color Additives Permitted for Use in Cosmetics: Table. April 30, 2008; Updated June 20, 2008 and February 22, 2010. http://www.fda.gov/cosmetics/guidancecomplianceregulatoryinformation/voluntarycosmeticsregistrationprogramvcrp/onlineregistration/ucm109084.htm|
Multiple, additive exposure sources
|Used in food or as an additive with limited or no toxicity information available||FDA Everything Added to Food|
|65 studies in PubMed science library may include information on the toxicity of this chemical||NLM PubMed|
|Industry or government recommendations for safe use: restrictions on concentration, impurities, product types, or manufacturing methods - Color additive approved by FDA for use in cosmetics||FDA Color Additive Status|
|Industry or government recommendations for safe use: restrictions on concentration, impurities, product types, or manufacturing methods - Color Additives - Exempt from Batch Certification by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration||CTFA International Cosmetic Ingredient Dictionary and Handbook|
- FDA 2010. Color Additives Permitted for Use in Cosmetics: Table. April 30, 2008; Updated June 20, 2008 and February 22, 2010. http://www.fda.gov/cosmetics/guidancecomplianceregulatoryinformation/voluntarycosmeticsregistrationprogramvcrp/onlineregistration/ucm109084.htm
- FDA (U.S. Food and Drug Administration). 2008. EAFUS [Everything Added to Food]: A Food Additive Database. FDA Office of Food Safety and Applied Nutrition.
- NLM (National Library of Medicine). 2012. PubMed online scientific bibliography data. http://www.pubmed.gov.
- FDA (U.S. Food and Drug Administration) 2006. Center for Food Safety and Applied Nutrition. Color Additive Status List. September 2006.
- CTFA (Cosmetic, Toiletry and Fragrance Association). 2006. International Cosmetic Ingredient Dictionary and Handbook, 11th Edition. Color Additive Information. Washington, DC.
- This ingredient’s score is higher if used in products intended for use on lips due to increased risk of ingestion and absorption.
- Products with the EWG VERIFIED mark have met use restrictions and warnings based on EWG review of company data.
ABOUT THE SKIN DEEP® RATINGS
EWG provides information on personal care product ingredients from the published scientific literature, to supplement incomplete data available from companies and the government. The ratings below indicate the relative level of concern posed by exposure to the ingredients in this product - not the product itself - compared to other product formulations. The ratings reflect potential health hazards but do not account for the level of exposure or individual susceptibility, factors which determine actual health risks, if any. Learn more | Legal Disclaimer
ABOUT EWG VERIFIED™
Beyond providing Skin Deep® as an educational tool for consumers, EWG offers its EWG VERIFIED™ mark as a quick and easily identifiable way of conveying personal care products that meet EWG's strict health criteria. Before a company can use EWG VERIFIED™ on such products, the company must show that it fully discloses the products' ingredients on their labels or packaging, they do not contain EWG ingredients of concern, and are made with good manufacturing practices, among other criteria. Note that EWG receives licensing fees from all EWG VERIFIED™ member companies that help to support the important work we do. Learn more | Legal Disclaimer