IMAGE SOURCE: PubChem
Other ConcernsEnhanced skin absorption, Persistence and bioaccumulation (high), and Non-reproductive organ system toxicity (low)
Restricted: EWG VERIFIED products cannot contain this ingredient without adequate substantiation
Iron oxides are inorganic chemicals used as colorants.
See how this product scores for common concerns.
LOWAllergies & Immunotoxicity
LOWDevelopmental and Reproductive Toxicity
- DATA SOURCES
Products with this Ingredient
|eye shadow||4008 products|
|lip gloss||2573 products|
|eye liner||2230 products|
|brow liner||2093 products|
|lip liner||1184 products|
|facial powder||830 products|
|lip balm||769 products|
|nail polish||720 products|
|daily use with SPF||718 products|
|setting powder/spray||460 products|
|CC cream||372 products|
|makeup primer||336 products|
|BB cream||307 products|
|bar soap||196 products|
|hair color and bleaching||172 products|
|lip plumper||167 products|
|facial moisturizer/treatment||132 products|
|recreational sunscreen||132 products|
|around-eye cream||119 products|
|lip balm with SPF||112 products|
|bath oil/salts/soak||83 products|
|serums & essences||80 products|
|body oil||75 products|
|body wash/cleanser||57 products|
|facial cleanser||43 products|
|hair styling aide||27 products|
|other eye makeup||20 products|
|eyelash glue||18 products|
|sunless tanning||17 products|
|body powder||16 products|
|nail treatment||9 products|
|skin fading/lightener||8 products|
|nail glue||8 products|
|hair treatment/serum||7 products|
|hair spray||6 products|
|pore strips||6 products|
|liquid hand soap||5 products|
|body firming lotion||5 products|
|makeup remover||5 products|
|bubble bath||5 products|
|oil controller||4 products|
|styling gel/lotion||4 products|
|shaving cream||4 products|
|body spray||4 products|
|shaving cream (men's)||4 products|
|hair removal waxes||4 products|
|hand sanitizer||3 products|
|muscle/joint soreness||3 products|
|beard cleanser||3 products|
|styling mousse/foam||2 products|
|tanning oil||2 products|
|fragrance for women||2 products|
|hand cream||1 products|
|hair-loss treatment||1 products|
|foot cleansing||1 products|
|fragrance for men||1 products|
|baby sunscreen||1 products|
|body art||1 products|
|beard care||1 products|
Enhanced skin absorption
|Nano-scale ingredients with potential to absorb into the skin||Open scientific literature|
|Suspected nano-scale ingredients with potential to absorb into the skin||Nanomaterial Database|
Persistence and bioaccumulation
|Persistent, bioaccumulative in wildlife and humans||National Library of Medicine HazMap|
|Persistent, bioaccumulative in wildlife||National Library of Medicine HazMap|
|Not suspected to be bioaccumulative||Environment Canada Domestic Substance List|
Organ system toxicity (non-reproductive)
|Limited evidence of respiratory toxicity||Scorecard.org Toxicity Information|
|Classified as not expected to be potentially toxic or harmful||Environment Canada Domestic Substance List|
|Classified as a low human health priority||Environment Canada Domestic Substance List|
|Not suspected to be an environmental toxin||Environment Canada Domestic Substance List|
Multiple, additive exposure sources
|Designated as safe for general or specific, limited use in food||FDA Everything Added to Food|
|9326 studies in PubMed science library may include information on the toxicity of this chemical||NLM PubMed|
|Industry or government recommendations for safe use: restrictions on concentration, impurities, product types, or manufacturing methods - Color Additives - Exempt from Batch Certification by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration||CTFA International Cosmetic Ingredient Dictionary and Handbook|
|Industry or government recommendations for safe use: restrictions on concentration, impurities, product types, or manufacturing methods - Color additive approved by FDA for use in cosmetics||FDA Color Additive Status|
|Limited or incomplete evidence of cancer according to safety/hazard data – government assessment cannot classify as human carcinogen due to data gaps||Int'l Agency for Research on Cancer (IARC) - Carcinogens|
- Open scientific/peer reviewed literature
- NanoWerk. 2007. Nanomaterial Database. Available online: http://www.nanowerk.com/phpscripts/n_dbsearch.php
- NLM (National Library of Medicine). 2006. HazMap — Occupational Exposure to Hazardous Agents.
- EC (Environment Canada). 2008. Domestic Substances List Categorization. Canadian Environmental Protection Act (CEPA) Environmental Registry.
- ED (Environmental Defense). 2006. Scorecard _ The Pollution Information Site. http://www.scorecard.org.
- FDA (U.S. Food and Drug Administration). 2008. EAFUS [Everything Added to Food]: A Food Additive Database. FDA Office of Food Safety and Applied Nutrition.
- NLM (National Library of Medicine). 2012. PubMed online scientific bibliography data. http://www.pubmed.gov.
- CTFA (Cosmetic, Toiletry and Fragrance Association). 2006. International Cosmetic Ingredient Dictionary and Handbook, 11th Edition. Color Additive Information. Washington, DC.
- FDA (U.S. Food and Drug Administration) 2006. Center for Food Safety and Applied Nutrition. Color Additive Status List. September 2006.
- IARC (International Agency for Research on Cancer). 2008. Overall Evaluations of Carcinogenicity to Humans, as evaluated in IARC Monographs Volumes 1-99 (a total of 935 agents, mixtures and exposures).
Cosmetics and personal care products are not required to be tested for safety before being allowed on the market. The Skin Deep® scoring system was designed to help the public understand whether a product is safe to use or whether it contains ingredients of concern.
Every product and ingredient in Skin Deep gets a two-part score – one for hazard and one for data availability. The safest products score well by both measures, with a low hazard rating and a fair or better data availability rating.HOW WE DETERMINE SCORES
The Skin Deep ingredient hazard score, from 1 to 10, reflects known and suspected hazards linked to the ingredients. The EWG VERIFIED™ mark means a product meets EWG’s strictest criteria for transparency and health.
The Skin Deep data availability rating reflects the number of scientific studies about the product or ingredient in the published scientific literature.