Sodium Laureth Sulfate
- This ingredient’s score is higher if used in products intended for use around the eyes due to increased risk of absorption.
- Products with this ingredient are allowed for use in EWG VERIFIED but must meet use restrictions and warnings based on EWG review of company data.
- This ingredient’s score is higher if used in products that are inhalable (e.g., sprays, powders) because of respiratory concerns.
- Products with the EWG VERIFIED mark have met the program’s impurity and use restrictions based on EWG's review of the company's data.
Other ConcernsUse restrictions (low), Non-reproductive organ system toxicity (moderate), Irritation (skin, eyes, or lungs) (moderate), and Contamination concerns (high)
Restricted: EWG VERIFIED products cannot contain this ingredient without adequate substantiation
Sodium Laureth Sulfate is and ingredient derived from ethoxylated lauryl alcohol and used as a surfactant; may be contaminated with potentially toxic manufacturing impurities such as 1,4-dioxane.
See how this product scores for common concerns.
LOWAllergies & Immunotoxicity
LOWDevelopmental and Reproductive Toxicity
- DATA SOURCES
Products with this Ingredient
|body wash/cleanser||533 products|
|liquid hand soap||379 products|
|facial cleanser||125 products|
|bubble bath||71 products|
|bath oil/salts/soak||34 products|
|bar soap||29 products|
|hair color and bleaching||27 products|
|eye liner||25 products|
|baby shampoo||11 products|
|shaving cream||11 products|
|baby soap||9 products|
|brow liner||8 products|
|hair treatment/serum||7 products|
|beard cleanser||6 products|
|baby bubble bath||6 products|
|makeup primer||4 products|
|styling mousse/foam||3 products|
|foot cleansing||2 products|
|shaving cream (men's)||2 products|
|eye makeup remover||2 products|
|eyelash glue||2 products|
|facial moisturizer/treatment||2 products|
|serums & essences||1 products|
|beard care||1 products|
|vapor rubs||1 products|
|damaged skin treatment||1 products|
|sunless tanning||1 products|
|antiperspirant/deodorant (men's)||1 products|
|makeup removing wipes||1 products|
|hair relaxer||1 products|
|daily use with SPF||1 products|
Irritation (skin, eyes, or lungs)
|Human any irritant - strong evidence||Cosmetic Ingredient Review Assessments|
Organ system toxicity (non-reproductive)
|Classified as expected to be toxic or harmful||Environment Canada Domestic Substance List|
|Determined safe for use in cosmetics, subject to concentration or use limitations - Safe for use in cosmetics with some qualifications||Cosmetic Ingredient Review Assessments|
|Risk assessment method deficiencies and data gaps - Maximum reported "as used" concentration is basis of safety assessment by industry safety panel (Cosmetic Ingredient Review, CIR) - implicit safe concentration limit in product||Cosmetic Ingredient Review Assessments|
|54 studies in PubMed science library may include information on the toxicity of this chemical||NLM PubMed|
|Industry or government recommendations for safe use: restrictions on concentration, impurities, product types, or manufacturing methods - any||Cosmetic Ingredient Review Assessments|
- CIR (Cosmetic Ingredient Review). 2006. CIR Compendium, containing abstracts, discussions, and conclusions of CIR cosmetic ingredient safety assessments. Washington DC.
- EC (Environment Canada). 2008. Domestic Substances List Categorization. Canadian Environmental Protection Act (CEPA) Environmental Registry.
- NLM (National Library of Medicine). 2012. PubMed online scientific bibliography data. http://www.pubmed.gov.
Cosmetics and personal care products are not required to be tested for safety before being allowed on the market. The Skin Deep® scoring system was designed to help the public understand whether a product is safe to use or whether it contains ingredients of concern.
Every product and ingredient in Skin Deep gets a two-part score – one for hazard and one for data availability. The safest products score well by both measures, with a low hazard rating and a fair or better data availability rating.HOW WE DETERMINE SCORES
The Skin Deep ingredient hazard score, from 1 to 10, reflects known and suspected hazards linked to the ingredients. The EWG VERIFIED® mark means a product meets EWG’s strictest criteria for transparency and health.
The Skin Deep data availability rating reflects the number of scientific studies about the product or ingredient in the published scientific literature.