Other ConcernsEnhanced skin absorption, Non-reproductive organ system toxicity (low), Multiple, additive exposure sources (low), and Contamination concerns (high)
This ingredient is not currently on EWG's Skin Deep Restricted or Unacceptable Lists.
Specially denatured (SD) alcohol is a mixture of ethanol with a denaturing agent. Ethanol is considered broadly toxic and linked to birth defects following excessive oral ingestion. Potential risks from ethanol in personal care products are significantly smaller than the health risks posed by the consumption of alcohol.
See how this product scores for common concerns.
LOWAllergies & Immunotoxicity
MODERATEDevelopmental and Reproductive Toxicity
- DATA SOURCES
Products with this Ingredient
|hair spray||7 products|
|hand sanitizer||7 products|
|after shave||6 products|
|facial cleansing wipes||5 products|
|recreational sunscreen||3 products|
|hair treatment/serum||3 products|
|eye liner||3 products|
|body cleansing wipes||2 products|
|baby wipes||2 products|
|fragrance for women||2 products|
|hair styling aide||2 products|
|baby sunscreen||1 products|
|after sun product||1 products|
|hair color and bleaching||1 products|
|body powder||1 products|
|antiperspirant/deodorant (men's)||1 products|
|serums & essences||1 products|
Enhanced skin absorption
|Penetration enhancer||Open scientific literature|
|Penetration enhancer||Cosmetic Ingredient Review Assessments|
|Limited evidence of reproductive toxicity||National Library of Medicine HazMap|
|Limited evidence of reproductive toxicity||Scorecard.org Toxicity Information|
Multiple, additive exposure sources
|Used in food or as an additive with limited or no toxicity information available||FDA Everything Added to Food|
Organ system toxicity (non-reproductive)
|Limited evidence of sense organ toxicity||Scorecard.org Toxicity Information|
|Limited evidence of gastrointestinal or liver toxicity||National Library of Medicine HazMap|
|reproductive - weight of evidence unknown/unassessed/unreview: published lit review or major tox study||National Library of Medicine HazMap|
|Cancer - limited evidence||Scorecard.org Toxicity Information|
|Insufficient data to determine safety||Cosmetic Ingredient Review Assessments|
|1 studies in PubMed science library may include information on the toxicity of this chemical||NLM PubMed|
|Occupational hazards related to handling||CPS&Q - Classification & Labelling|
|nervous system - weight of evidence unknown/unassessed/unreview: published lit review or major tox study||National Library of Medicine HazMap|
- Open scientific/peer reviewed literature
- CIR (Cosmetic Ingredient Review). 2006. CIR Compendium, containing abstracts, discussions, and conclusions of CIR cosmetic ingredient safety assessments. Washington DC.
- NLM (National Library of Medicine). 2006. HazMap — Occupational Exposure to Hazardous Agents.
- ED (Environmental Defense). 2006. Scorecard _ The Pollution Information Site. http://www.scorecard.org.
- FDA (U.S. Food and Drug Administration). 2008. EAFUS [Everything Added to Food]: A Food Additive Database. FDA Office of Food Safety and Applied Nutrition.
- NLM (National Library of Medicine). 2012. PubMed online scientific bibliography data. http://www.pubmed.gov.
- CPS&Q (Consumer Products Safety & Quality) formely known as ECB (European Chemicals Bureau). 2008. Classification and Labelling: Chemicals: Annex VI of Directive 67/548/EEC through the 31st ATP.
Cosmetics and personal care products are not required to be tested for safety before being allowed on the market. The Skin Deep® scoring system was designed to help the public understand whether a product is safe to use or whether it contains ingredients of concern.
Every product and ingredient in Skin Deep gets a two-part score – one for hazard and one for data availability. The safest products score well by both measures, with a low hazard rating and a fair or better data availability rating.HOW WE DETERMINE SCORES
The Skin Deep ingredient hazard score, from 1 to 10, reflects known and suspected hazards linked to the ingredients. The EWG VERIFIED® mark means a product meets EWG’s strictest criteria for transparency and health.
The Skin Deep data availability rating reflects the number of scientific studies about the product or ingredient in the published scientific literature.