Cancer: Ingredients linked to cancer in government, industry or academic studies or assessments.
Developmental & Reproductive Toxicity
Developmental and reproductive toxicity: Ingredients linked to developmental and reproductive toxicity, a broad class of health effects that range from infertility and reproductive organ cancers to birth defects and developmental delays in children.
Allergies & Immunotoxicity
Allergies and immunotoxicity: Ingredients linked to harm to the immune system, a class of health problems that manifest as allergic reactions or an impaired capacity to fight disease and repair damaged tissue in the body.
Products with this Ingredient
|fragrance for women||77 products|
|hair treatment/serum||30 products|
|hair spray||26 products|
|facial moisturizer/treatment||24 products|
|fragrance for men||23 products|
|body wash/cleanser||20 products|
|lip gloss||17 products|
|hair styling aide||17 products|
|styling gel/lotion||16 products|
|hand cream||10 products|
|bath oil/salts/soak||10 products|
|facial cleanser||10 products|
|lip liner||9 products|
|bar soap||8 products|
|body spray||7 products|
|lip balm||7 products|
|liquid hand soap||7 products|
|moisturizer with SPF||6 products|
|serums & essences||6 products|
|makeup primer||5 products|
|sunless tanning||4 products|
|beach & sport sunscreen||4 products|
|styling mousse/foam||4 products|
|body oil||3 products|
|body firming lotion||3 products|
|around-eye cream||2 products|
|lip plumper||2 products|
|shaving cream||2 products|
|makeup remover||2 products|
|hand sanitizer||2 products|
|lip balm with SPF||2 products|
|baby lotion||1 products|
|muscle/joint soreness||1 products|
|beard cleanser||1 products|
|facial powder||1 products|
|foot moisturizer||1 products|
|antiperspirant/deodorant (men's)||1 products|
|shaving cream (men's)||1 products|
|nail treatment||1 products|
|Known human immune system toxicant or allergen||SCCPNFP, 1999 "Opinion Concerning Fragrance Allergy In Consumers," Scientific Committee On Cosmetic Products And Non-Food Products. SCCNFP/0017/98 Final, December 1999.|
|Human [[system]] toxicant or allergen - strong evidence||Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) 2018. Safer Chemical Ingredients List (2018-02-28). Appears as: CAS: 107-75-5; List Name: Hydroxycitronellal; TSCA Chemical Name: Octanal, 7-hydroxy-3,7-dimethyl-|
|Limited evidence of [[system]] toxicity or allergies||European Chemicals Agency (ECHA) 2018. GHS Data from ECHA Website. Appears as: chemical_names: 7-hydroxycitronellal; 7-hydroxy-3,7-dimethyloctanal; -; 3,7-Dimethyl-7-hydroxyoctanal; 3,7-Dimethyl-7-hydroxyoctanal7- hydroxycitronellal 3,7-dimethyl-7-hydroxyoctanal; 7- hydroxycitronellal 3,7-dimethyl-7-hydroxyoctanal; 7-hydroxy -3,7-dimethyl; 7-HY; cas_numbers: 107-75-5|
|Restricted in cosmetics (recommendations or requirements) - use, concentration, or manufacturing restrictions - any||CosIng|
|Recommended restricted in cosmetics - use, concentration, or manufacturing restrictions - Fragrance subject to restrictions: safe only within recommended use or concentration limitsn)||IFRA_Standard_151html|
|59 studies in PubMed science library may include information on the toxicity of this chemical||NLM PubMed|
|Not suspected to be an environmental toxin||Environment Canada Domestic Substance List|
Multiple, additive exposure sources
|Designated as safe for general or specific, limited use in food||FDA Everything Added to Food|
Organ system toxicity (non-reproductive)
|Classified as not expected to be potentially toxic or harmful||Environment Canada Domestic Substance List|
Persistence and bioaccumulation
|Not suspected to be persistent||Environment Canada Domestic Substance List|
|Not suspected to be bioaccumulative||Environment Canada Domestic Substance List|
- SCCPNFP, 1999 "Opinion Concerning Fragrance Allergy In Consumers," Scientific Committee On Cosmetic Products And Non-Food Products. SCCNFP/0017/98 Final, December 1999.
- Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) 2018. Safer Chemical Ingredients List (2018-02-28). Appears as: CAS: 107-75-5; List Name: Hydroxycitronellal; TSCA Chemical Name: Octanal, 7-hydroxy-3,7-dimethyl-
- European Chemicals Agency (ECHA) 2018. GHS Data from ECHA Website. Appears as: chemical_names: 7-hydroxycitronellal; 7-hydroxy-3,7-dimethyloctanal; -; 3,7-Dimethyl-7-hydroxyoctanal; 3,7-Dimethyl-7-hydroxyoctanal7- hydroxycitronellal 3,7-dimethyl-7-hydroxyoctanal; 7- hydroxycitronellal 3,7-dimethyl-7-hydroxyoctanal; 7-hydroxy -3,7-dimethyl; 7-HY; cas_numbers: 107-75-5
- European Commission. 2013. Cosing, the European Commission database with information on cosmetic substances and ingredients. Accessed on March 1, 2013 at http://ec.europa.eu/consumers/cosmetics/cosing/ .
- NLM (National Library of Medicine). 2012. PubMed online scientific bibliography data. http://www.pubmed.gov.
- EC (Environment Canada). 2008. Domestic Substances List Categorization. Canadian Environmental Protection Act (CEPA) Environmental Registry.
- FDA (U.S. Food and Drug Administration). 2008. EAFUS [Everything Added to Food]: A Food Additive Database. FDA Office of Food Safety and Applied Nutrition.
- Products with the EWG VERIFIED mark have met use restrictions and warnings based on EWG review of company data.
ABOUT THE SKIN DEEP® RATINGS
EWG provides information on personal care product ingredients from the published scientific literature, to supplement incomplete data available from companies and the government. The ratings below indicate the relative level of concern posed by exposure to the ingredients in this product - not the product itself - compared to other product formulations. The ratings reflect potential health hazards but do not account for the level of exposure or individual susceptibility, factors which determine actual health risks, if any. Learn more | Legal Disclaimer
ABOUT EWG VERIFIED™
Beyond providing Skin Deep® as an educational tool for consumers, EWG offers its EWG VERIFIED™ mark as a quick and easily identifiable way of conveying personal care products that meet EWG's strict health criteria. Before a company can use EWG VERIFIED™ on such products, the company must show that it fully discloses the products' ingredients on their labels or packaging, they do not contain EWG ingredients of concern, and are made with good manufacturing practices, among other criteria. Note that EWG receives licensing fees from all EWG VERIFIED™ member companies that help to support the important work we do. Learn more | Legal Disclaimer