Cancer: Ingredients linked to cancer in government, industry or academic studies or assessments.
Developmental & Reproductive Toxicity
Developmental and reproductive toxicity: Ingredients linked to developmental and reproductive toxicity, a broad class of health effects that range from infertility and reproductive organ cancers to birth defects and developmental delays in children.
Allergies & Immunotoxicity
Allergies and immunotoxicity: Ingredients linked to harm to the immune system, a class of health problems that manifest as allergic reactions or an impaired capacity to fight disease and repair damaged tissue in the body.
Products with this Ingredient
|fragrance for women||112 products|
|hair treatment/serum||57 products|
|hair spray||45 products|
|fragrance for men||36 products|
|facial moisturizer/treatment||28 products|
|hair styling aide||28 products|
|body wash/cleanser||25 products|
|styling gel/lotion||23 products|
|lip gloss||20 products|
|body spray||17 products|
|lip balm||15 products|
|hand cream||15 products|
|sunless tanning||14 products|
|facial cleanser||12 products|
|bar soap||12 products|
|bath oil/salts/soak||10 products|
|lip liner||9 products|
|liquid hand soap||9 products|
|body oil||8 products|
|daily use with SPF||8 products|
|styling mousse/foam||7 products|
|recreational sunscreen||6 products|
|body firming lotion||6 products|
|serums & essences||6 products|
|makeup primer||5 products|
|lip plumper||5 products|
|body powder||3 products|
|lip balm with SPF||3 products|
|shaving cream||3 products|
|hand sanitizer||2 products|
|setting powder/spray||2 products|
|baby lotion||2 products|
|around-eye cream||2 products|
|makeup remover||2 products|
|facial powder||2 products|
|antiperspirant/deodorant (men's)||2 products|
|shaving cream (men's)||1 products|
|beard cleanser||1 products|
|beard care||1 products|
|tanning oil||1 products|
|muscle/joint soreness||1 products|
|after shave||1 products|
|polish remover||1 products|
|hair-loss treatment||1 products|
|eye makeup remover||1 products|
|foot moisturizer||1 products|
|after sun product||1 products|
|nail treatment||1 products|
|bubble bath||1 products|
|Known human immune system toxicant or allergen||SCCPNFP Opinion on Fragrance Allergy|
|Human any toxicant or allergen - strong evidence||Open scientific literature|
|Limited evidence of any toxicity or allergies||Open scientific literature|
|Recommended restricted in cosmetics - use, concentration, or manufacturing restrictions - Fragrance subject to restrictions: safe only within recommended use or concentration limitsn)||International Fragrance Association Codes & Standards|
|Restricted in cosmetics (recommendations or requirements) - use, concentration, or manufacturing restrictions - any||CosIng|
Multiple, additive exposure sources
|Designated as safe for general or specific, limited use in food||FDA Everything Added to Food|
|Not suspected to be an environmental toxin||Environment Canada Domestic Substance List|
Organ system toxicity (non-reproductive)
|Classified as not expected to be potentially toxic or harmful||Environment Canada Domestic Substance List|
Persistence and bioaccumulation
|Not suspected to be persistent||Environment Canada Domestic Substance List|
|Not suspected to be bioaccumulative||Environment Canada Domestic Substance List|
|59 studies in PubMed science library may include information on the toxicity of this chemical||NLM PubMed|
- SCCPNFP (Scientific Committee On Cosmetic Products And Non-Food Products). 1999. Opinion Concerning Fragrance Allergy In Consumers. . SCCNFP/0017/98 Final, December 1999; and SCCPNFP (Scientific Committee On Cosmetic Products And Non-Food Products). 2000. An Initial List Of Perfumery Materials Which Must Not Form Part Of Fragrances Compounds Used In Cosmetic Products. SCCNFP/0320/00, final May 2000.
- Open scientific/peer reviewed literature
- IFRA (International Fragrance Association). 2006. Codes and Standards.
- European Commission. 2013. Cosing, the European Commission database with information on cosmetic substances and ingredients. Accessed on March 1, 2013 at http://ec.europa.eu/consumers/cosmetics/cosing/ .
- FDA (U.S. Food and Drug Administration). 2008. EAFUS [Everything Added to Food]: A Food Additive Database. FDA Office of Food Safety and Applied Nutrition.
- EC (Environment Canada). 2008. Domestic Substances List Categorization. Canadian Environmental Protection Act (CEPA) Environmental Registry.
- NLM (National Library of Medicine). 2012. PubMed online scientific bibliography data. http://www.pubmed.gov.
- Products with the EWG VERIFIED mark have met use restrictions and warnings based on EWG review of company data.
ABOUT THE SKIN DEEP® RATINGS
EWG provides information on personal care product ingredients from the published scientific literature, to supplement incomplete data available from companies and the government. The ratings below indicate the relative level of concern posed by exposure to the ingredients in this product - not the product itself - compared to other product formulations. The ratings reflect potential health hazards but do not account for the level of exposure or individual susceptibility, factors which determine actual health risks, if any. Learn more | Legal Disclaimer
ABOUT EWG VERIFIED™
Beyond providing Skin Deep® as an educational tool for consumers, EWG offers its EWG VERIFIED™ mark as a quick and easily identifiable way of conveying personal care products that meet EWG's strict health criteria. Before a company can use EWG VERIFIED™ on such products, the company must show that it fully discloses the products' ingredients on their labels or packaging, they do not contain EWG ingredients of concern, and are made with good manufacturing practices, among other criteria. Note that EWG receives licensing fees from all EWG VERIFIED™ member companies that help to support the important work we do. Learn more | Legal Disclaimer