Ext. D&C Violet No. 2 (Ci 60730)
- †This ingredient’s score is higher if used in products intended for damaged skin due to increased risk of absorption.
- †This ingredient’s score is higher if used in products intended for use around mouth due to increased risk of ingestion and absorption.
- †This ingredient’s score is higher if used in products intended for use on lips due to increased risk of ingestion and absorption.
- †This ingredient’s score is higher if used in products intended for use around the eyes due to increased risk of absorption.
Other ConcernsUse restrictions (high), Non-reproductive organ system toxicity (moderate), and Irritation (skin, eyes, or lungs) (low)
SYNONYMS6-((4-HYDROXY-1-ANTHRAQUINONYL)AMINO)- MONOSODIUM SALT M-TOLUENESULFONIC ACID, BENZENESULFONIC ACID, 2[(9,10DIHYDRO4HYDROXY9,10DIOXO1ANTHRACENYL)AMINO]5METHYL, MONOSODIUM SALT, CI 60730, EXT D&C VIOLET 2, EXT. D&C VIOLET 2, EXT. D&C VIOLET NO. 2, EXT. D&C VIOLET NO. 2 (CI 60730), EXT. VIOLET 2, M-TOLUENESULFONIC ACID, 6-((4-HYDROXY-1-ANTHRAQUINONYL)AMINO)-, MONOSODIUM SALT, MONOSODIUM SALT M-TOLUENESULFONIC ACID, 6-((4-HYDROXY-1-ANTHRAQUINONYL)AMINO)-, MURASAKI401, and SODIUM 4-[(9,10-DIHYDRO-4-HYDROXY-9,10-DIOXO-1-ANTHRYL)AMINO]TOLUENE-3-SULPHONATE
Ext. (external) D&C Violet 2 is a synthetic colorant.
See how this product scores for common concerns.
MODERATEAllergies & Immunotoxicity
LOWDevelopmental and Reproductive Toxicity
- DATA SOURCES
Products with this Ingredient
|nail polish||77 products|
|fragrance for women||63 products|
|liquid hand soap||62 products|
|body wash/cleanser||43 products|
|fragrance for men||35 products|
|hair color and bleaching||32 products|
|bath oil/salts/soak||17 products|
|facial cleanser||16 products|
|hair treatment/serum||15 products|
|styling gel/lotion||12 products|
|body oil||9 products|
|facial moisturizer/treatment||9 products|
|hair styling aide||8 products|
|body spray||8 products|
|polish remover||6 products|
|serums & essences||5 products|
|after shave||4 products|
|sunless tanning||3 products|
|makeup remover||2 products|
|makeup primer||2 products|
|setting powder/spray||2 products|
|bar soap||2 products|
|daily use with SPF||1 products|
|hair spray||1 products|
|hand cream||1 products|
|bubble bath||1 products|
|oil controller||1 products|
|foot moisturizer||1 products|
|shaving cream||1 products|
|hand sanitizer||1 products|
|Violation of government restrictions - Restricted in cosmetics; use, concentration, or manufacturing restrictions - Color additive approved by FDA for use in cosmetics: external use only||FDA Color Additive Status|
|Determined safe for use in cosmetics, subject to concentration or use limitations - Safe for use in cosmetics with some qualifications||Cosmetic Ingredient Review Assessments|
|Human skin toxicant or allergen - strong evidence||EWG Assessment of Open Scientific Literature|
|any or allergies - weight of evidence unknown/unassessed/unreview: published lit review or major tox study||Open scientific literature|
Organ system toxicity (non-reproductive)
|Limited evidence of any toxicity||Open scientific literature|
|Classified as not expected to be potentially toxic or harmful||Environment Canada Domestic Substance List|
|Cancer - limited evidence||EWG Assessment of Open Scientific Literature|
|Cancer - limited evidence||Cosmetic Ingredient Review Assessments|
|One or more in vitro tests on mammalian cells show positive mutation results||Open scientific literature|
Irritation (skin, eyes, or lungs)
|Limited evidence of any irritation||Open scientific literature|
|One or more animal studies show any irritation at moderate doses||Open scientific literature|
|2 studies in PubMed science library may include information on the toxicity of this chemical||NLM PubMed|
|Not suspected to be an environmental toxin||Environment Canada Domestic Substance List|
Persistence and bioaccumulation
|Not suspected to be bioaccumulative||Environment Canada Domestic Substance List|
|Industry or government recommendations for safe use: restrictions on concentration, impurities, product types, or manufacturing methods - Color Additives - Batch Certified by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration||CTFA International Cosmetic Ingredient Dictionary and Handbook|
|Industry or government recommendations for safe use: restrictions on concentration, impurities, product types, or manufacturing methods - Color additive approved by FDA for use in cosmetics: external use only||FDA Color Additive Status|
- FDA (U.S. Food and Drug Administration) 2006. Center for Food Safety and Applied Nutrition. Color Additive Status List. September 2006.
- CIR (Cosmetic Ingredient Review). 2006. CIR Compendium, containing abstracts, discussions, and conclusions of CIR cosmetic ingredient safety assessments. Washington DC.
- EWG Assessment of Open Scientific Literature
- Open scientific/peer reviewed literature
- EC (Environment Canada). 2008. Domestic Substances List Categorization. Canadian Environmental Protection Act (CEPA) Environmental Registry.
- NLM (National Library of Medicine). 2012. PubMed online scientific bibliography data. http://www.pubmed.gov.
- CTFA (Cosmetic, Toiletry and Fragrance Association). 2006. International Cosmetic Ingredient Dictionary and Handbook, 11th Edition. Color Additive Information. Washington, DC.
Cosmetics and personal care products are not required to be tested for safety before being allowed on the market. The Skin Deep® scoring system was designed to help the public understand whether a product is safe to use or whether it contains ingredients of concern.
Every product and ingredient in Skin Deep gets a two-part score – one for hazard and one for data availability. The safest products score well by both measures, with a low hazard rating and a fair or better data availability rating.HOW WE DETERMINE SCORES
The Skin Deep ingredient hazard score, from 1 to 10, reflects known and suspected hazards linked to the ingredients. The EWG VERIFIED™ mark means a product meets EWG’s strictest criteria for transparency and health.
The Skin Deep data availability rating reflects the number of scientific studies about the product or ingredient in the published scientific literature.