D&C Red No. 33 (CI 17200) Lake
Cancer: Ingredients linked to cancer in government, industry or academic studies or assessments.
Developmental & Reproductive Toxicity
Developmental and reproductive toxicity: Ingredients linked to developmental and reproductive toxicity, a broad class of health effects that range from infertility and reproductive organ cancers to birth defects and developmental delays in children.
Allergies & Immunotoxicity
Allergies and immunotoxicity: Ingredients linked to harm to the immune system, a class of health problems that manifest as allergic reactions or an impaired capacity to fight disease and repair damaged tissue in the body.
Products with this Ingredient
|lip gloss||44 products|
|lip liner||12 products|
|lip balm||3 products|
|lip balm with SPF||2 products|
|lip plumper||1 products|
|body wash/cleanser||1 products|
|nail polish||1 products|
|bar soap||1 products|
|hair color and bleaching||1 products|
|Restricted in European cosmetics||EU Cosmetics Directive 2015. CosIng. Appears as: listid: COSING-31627; Chemical_Name: ACID RED 33; ; CAS: 3567-66-6|
|Determined safe for use in cosmetics, subject to concentration or use limitations - any||FDA Color Additive Status|
Organ system toxicity (non-reproductive)
|Limited evidence of any toxicity||Klaassen, C, M. Amdur and J. Doull (eds.). Casarett and Doull|
|Classified as not expected to be potentially toxic or harmful||Environment Canada Domestic Substance List|
|Changes in immune endpoints were observed in an animal dosing study.||European Commission, Scientific Committee on Consumer Products (SCCP) 2007. Opinion on Acid Red 33C OLIPA n° C22.|
|No evidence of carcinogenicity from animal testing.||European Commission, Scientific Committee on Consumer Products (SCCP) 2007. Opinion on Acid Red 33C OLIPA nï¿½ C22.|
|Not considered genotoxic based on in vivo and in vitro testing.||European Commission, Scientific Committee on Consumer Products (SCCP) 2007. Opinion on Acid Red 33C OLIPA n° C22.|
|5 studies in PubMed science library may include information on the toxicity of this chemical||NLM PubMed|
|No reproductive/developmentl toxicity reported from animal testing.||European Commission, Scientific Committee on Consumer Products (SCCP) 2007. Opinion on Acid Red 33C OLIPA n° C22.|
|Not suspected to be an environmental toxin||Environment Canada Domestic Substance List|
|Industry or government recommendations for safe use: restrictions on concentration, impurities, product types, or manufacturing methods - Color Additives Lakes - Batch Certified by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration||CTFA International Cosmetic Ingredient Dictionary and Handbook|
Persistence and bioaccumulation
|Not suspected to be bioaccumulative||Environment Canada Domestic Substance List|
- EU Cosmetics Directive 2015. CosIng. Appears as: listid: COSING-31627; Chemical_Name: ACID RED 33; ; CAS: 3567-66-6
- FDA (U.S. Food and Drug Administration) 2006. Center for Food Safety and Applied Nutrition. Color Additive Status List. September 2006.
- Klaassen, C, M. Amdur and J. Doull (eds.). Casarett and Doull
- EC (Environment Canada). 2008. Domestic Substances List Categorization. Canadian Environmental Protection Act (CEPA) Environmental Registry.
- European Commission, Scientific Committee on Consumer Products (SCCP) 2007. Opinion on Acid Red 33C OLIPA nï¿½ C22.
- NLM (National Library of Medicine). 2012. PubMed online scientific bibliography data. http://www.pubmed.gov.
- CTFA (Cosmetic, Toiletry and Fragrance Association). 2006. International Cosmetic Ingredient Dictionary and Handbook, 11th Edition. Color Additive Information. Washington, DC.
- This ingredient’s score is higher if used in products that are inhalable (e.g., sprays, powders) because of respiratory concerns.
- Products with the EWG VERIFIED mark have met the program’s impurity and use restrictions based on EWG's review of the company's data.
ABOUT THE SKIN DEEP® RATINGS
EWG provides information on personal care product ingredients from the published scientific literature, to supplement incomplete data available from companies and the government. The ratings below indicate the relative level of concern posed by exposure to the ingredients in this product - not the product itself - compared to other product formulations. The ratings reflect potential health hazards but do not account for the level of exposure or individual susceptibility, factors which determine actual health risks, if any. Learn more | Legal Disclaimer
ABOUT EWG VERIFIED™
Beyond providing Skin Deep® as an educational tool for consumers, EWG offers its EWG VERIFIED™ mark as a quick and easily identifiable way of conveying personal care products that meet EWG's strict health criteria. Before a company can use EWG VERIFIED™ on such products, the company must show that it fully discloses the products' ingredients on their labels or packaging, they do not contain EWG ingredients of concern, and are made with good manufacturing practices, among other criteria. Note that EWG receives licensing fees from all EWG VERIFIED™ member companies that help to support the important work we do. Learn more | Legal Disclaimer