Cancer: Ingredients linked to cancer in government, industry or academic studies or assessments.
Developmental & Reproductive Toxicity
Developmental and reproductive toxicity: Ingredients linked to developmental and reproductive toxicity, a broad class of health effects that range from infertility and reproductive organ cancers to birth defects and developmental delays in children.
Allergies & Immunotoxicity
Allergies and immunotoxicity: Ingredients linked to harm to the immune system, a class of health problems that manifest as allergic reactions or an impaired capacity to fight disease and repair damaged tissue in the body.
Products with this Ingredient
|eye shadow||238 products|
|eye liner||206 products|
|moisturizer with SPF||171 products|
|hair treatment/serum||114 products|
|lip liner||99 products|
|makeup primer||98 products|
|beach & sport sunscreen||79 products|
|serums & essences||77 products|
|antiperspirant/deodorant (men's)||71 products|
|facial moisturizer/treatment||70 products|
|brow liner||54 products|
|BB cream||41 products|
|hair spray||34 products|
|hair styling aide||32 products|
|CC cream||31 products|
|makeup remover||25 products|
|body firming lotion||22 products|
|around-eye cream||21 products|
|lip gloss||21 products|
|lip balm with SPF||20 products|
|hand cream||17 products|
|facial cleanser||9 products|
|styling gel/lotion||9 products|
|eye makeup remover||9 products|
|facial powder||8 products|
|other eye makeup||7 products|
|styling mousse/foam||5 products|
|baby oil||5 products|
|after shave||4 products|
|body oil||4 products|
|hair color and bleaching||3 products|
|body wash/cleanser||3 products|
|baby sunscreen||3 products|
|hair relaxer||3 products|
|body spray||2 products|
|beard care||2 products|
|oil controller||2 products|
|sunless tanning||2 products|
|lip balm||1 products|
|tanning oil||1 products|
|fragrance for men||1 products|
|shaving cream (men's)||1 products|
|beard oil||1 products|
Persistence and bioaccumulation
|Persistent, bioaccumulative in wildlife||Canada PBTs - Accelerated Reduction/Elimination of Toxics (ARET)|
Organ system toxicity (non-reproductive)
|Classified as expected to be toxic or harmful||Environment Canada Domestic Substance List|
|Uterine tumors in female rats||Dow Corning Corporation 2005. Decamethylcyclopentasiloxane: A 24-month combined chronic toxicity and oncogenicity whole body vapor inhalation study in Fischer-344 rats. Dow Corning Report No. 2005-1000-54953. 4062.|
|Increased anogenital distance observed in rats at a moderate dose.||Siddiqui WH, Stump DG, Reynolds VL, Plotzke KP, Holson JF, Meeks RG 2007. A two- generation reproductive toxicity study of decamethylcyclopentasiloxane (D5) in rats exposed by whole-body vapor inhalation. Reprod Toxicol. 23(2):216-25.|
|Moderate dose in rate suggested dopamine D2-receptor behavior on pituitary cells.||Jean PA, McCracken KA, Arthurton JA, Plotzke KP 2005b. Investigation of octamethylcyclotetrasiloxane (D4) and decamethylcyclopentasiloxane (D5) as dopamine D2- receptor agonists. Toxicologist 84(S-1):370.|
|Suspected to be an environmental toxin and be persistent or bioaccumulative||Environment Canada Domestic Substance List|
|Suspected to be an environmental toxin||Environment Canada Domestic Substance List|
|119 studies in PubMed science library may include information on the toxicity of this chemical||NLM PubMed|
|Industry or government recommendations for safe use: restrictions on concentration, impurities, product types, or manufacturing methods - any||Cosmetic Ingredient Review Assessments|
- EC (Environment Canada). 1994. Accelerated Reduction/Elimination of Toxics (ARET). ARET substance list of persistent, bioaccumulative and toxic chemicals.
- EC (Environment Canada). 2008. Domestic Substances List Categorization. Canadian Environmental Protection Act (CEPA) Environmental Registry.
- Dow Corning Corporation 2005. Decamethylcyclopentasiloxane: A 24-month combined chronic toxicity and oncogenicity whole body vapor inhalation study in Fischer-344 rats. Dow Corning Report No. 2005-1000-54953. 4062.
- Siddiqui WH, Stump DG, Reynolds VL, Plotzke KP, Holson JF, Meeks RG 2007. A two- generation reproductive toxicity study of decamethylcyclopentasiloxane (D5) in rats exposed by whole-body vapor inhalation. Reprod Toxicol. 23(2):216-25.
- Jean PA, McCracken KA, Arthurton JA, Plotzke KP 2005b. Investigation of octamethylcyclotetrasiloxane (D4) and decamethylcyclopentasiloxane (D5) as dopamine D2- receptor agonists. Toxicologist 84(S-1):370.
- NLM (National Library of Medicine). 2012. PubMed online scientific bibliography data. http://www.pubmed.gov.
- CIR (Cosmetic Ingredient Review). 2006. CIR Compendium, containing abstracts, discussions, and conclusions of CIR cosmetic ingredient safety assessments. Washington DC.
ABOUT THE SKIN DEEP® RATINGS
EWG provides information on personal care product ingredients from the published scientific literature, to supplement incomplete data available from companies and the government. The ratings below indicate the relative level of concern posed by exposure to the ingredients in this product - not the product itself - compared to other product formulations. The ratings reflect potential health hazards but do not account for the level of exposure or individual susceptibility, factors which determine actual health risks, if any. Learn more | Legal Disclaimer
ABOUT EWG VERIFIED™
Beyond providing Skin Deep® as an educational tool for consumers, EWG offers its EWG VERIFIED™ mark as a quick and easily identifiable way of conveying personal care products that meet EWG's strict health criteria. Before a company can use EWG VERIFIED™ on such products, the company must show that it fully discloses the products' ingredients on their labels or packaging, they do not contain EWG ingredients of concern, and are made with good manufacturing practices, among other criteria. Note that EWG receives licensing fees from all EWG VERIFIED™ member companies that help to support the important work we do. Learn more | Legal Disclaimer