Cancer: Ingredients linked to cancer in government, industry or academic studies or assessments.
Developmental & Reproductive Toxicity
Developmental and reproductive toxicity: Ingredients linked to developmental and reproductive toxicity, a broad class of health effects that range from infertility and reproductive organ cancers to birth defects and developmental delays in children.
Allergies & Immunotoxicity
Allergies and immunotoxicity: Ingredients linked to harm to the immune system, a class of health problems that manifest as allergic reactions or an impaired capacity to fight disease and repair damaged tissue in the body.
Products with this Ingredient
|fragrance for women||66 products|
|body wash/cleanser||35 products|
|fragrance for men||17 products|
|hair treatment/serum||15 products|
|eye shadow||13 products|
|facial moisturizer/treatment||11 products|
|bath oil/salts/soak||11 products|
|hair styling aide||10 products|
|hand cream||10 products|
|styling gel/lotion||9 products|
|body spray||8 products|
|facial cleanser||8 products|
|serums & essences||7 products|
|moisturizer with SPF||7 products|
|liquid hand soap||7 products|
|sunless tanning||5 products|
|bar soap||5 products|
|body oil||4 products|
|beach & sport sunscreen||4 products|
|hair spray||4 products|
|body firming lotion||4 products|
|beard oil||3 products|
|shaving cream||3 products|
|styling mousse/foam||3 products|
|baby soap||2 products|
|baby lotion||2 products|
|makeup primer||2 products|
|hair color and bleaching||2 products|
|after shave||2 products|
|after sun product||2 products|
|baby shampoo||2 products|
|diaper cream||1 products|
|vapor rubs||1 products|
|makeup remover||1 products|
|bubble bath||1 products|
|lip balm||1 products|
|around-eye cream||1 products|
|antiperspirant/deodorant (men's)||1 products|
|hair relaxer||1 products|
|Known human immune system toxicant or allergen||SCCPNFP, 1999 "Opinion Concerning Fragrance Allergy In Consumers," Scientific Committee On Cosmetic Products And Non-Food Products. SCCNFP/0017/98 Final, December 1999.|
|Restricted in cosmetics (recommendations or requirements) - use, concentration, or manufacturing restrictions - any||CosIng|
|Recommended restricted in cosmetics - use, concentration, or manufacturing restrictions - Fragrance subject to restrictions: safe only within recommended use or concentration limitsn)||IFRA_Standard_212html|
|Cancer - limited evidence||Carcinogenic Potency Database http://potency.berkeley.edu/app14.html Environmental Defense reviewed this compilation of results on carcinogenicity in rats and mice covering 1298 chemicals and added any chemical with positive results in at least two species by a relevant route of exposure to its list of suspect carcinogens.|
|Limited or incomplete evidence of cancer according to safety/hazard data – government assessment cannot classify as human carcinogen due to data gaps||World Health Organization, International Agency for Research on Cancer IARC Monographs Programme on the Evaluation of Carcinogenic Risks to Humans. Lists of Group 1, 2a, and 2b substances can be obtained. http://monographs.iarc.fr/ENG/Classification/index.php; Vol 77;2000|
|Prohibited for use in food||FDA Food Additive Status|
|8313 studies in PubMed science library may include information on the toxicity of this chemical||NLM PubMed|
|Not suspected to be an environmental toxin||Environment Canada Domestic Substance List|
|Industry or government recommendations for safe use: restrictions on concentration, impurities, product types, or manufacturing methods - The substance was formerly approved as a food additive but is now banned; there may be some toxicology data available.||FDA Everything Added to Food|
Organ system toxicity (non-reproductive)
|Classified as not expected to be potentially toxic or harmful||Environment Canada Domestic Substance List|
Persistence and bioaccumulation
|Not suspected to be persistent||Environment Canada Domestic Substance List|
|Not suspected to be bioaccumulative||Environment Canada Domestic Substance List|
- SCCPNFP, 1999 "Opinion Concerning Fragrance Allergy In Consumers," Scientific Committee On Cosmetic Products And Non-Food Products. SCCNFP/0017/98 Final, December 1999.
- European Commission. 2013. Cosing, the European Commission database with information on cosmetic substances and ingredients. Accessed on March 1, 2013 at http://ec.europa.eu/consumers/cosmetics/cosing/ .
- Carcinogenic Potency Database http://potency.berkeley.edu/app14.html Environmental Defense reviewed this compilation of results on carcinogenicity in rats and mice covering 1298 chemicals and added any chemical with positive results in at least two species by a relevant route of exposure to its list of suspect carcinogens.
- World Health Organization, International Agency for Research on Cancer IARC Monographs Programme on the Evaluation of Carcinogenic Risks to Humans. Lists of Group 1, 2a, and 2b substances can be obtained. http://monographs.iarc.fr/ENG/Classification/index.php; Vol 77;2000
- FDA (U.S. Food and Drug Administration) 2006. Food Additive Status List. Downloaded from http://www.cfsan.fda.gov/%7Edms/opa-appa.html, Oct 16, 2006.
- NLM (National Library of Medicine). 2012. PubMed online scientific bibliography data. http://www.pubmed.gov.
- EC (Environment Canada). 2008. Domestic Substances List Categorization. Canadian Environmental Protection Act (CEPA) Environmental Registry.
- FDA (U.S. Food and Drug Administration). 2008. EAFUS [Everything Added to Food]: A Food Additive Database. FDA Office of Food Safety and Applied Nutrition.
ABOUT THE SKIN DEEP® RATINGS
EWG provides information on personal care product ingredients from the published scientific literature, to supplement incomplete data available from companies and the government. The ratings below indicate the relative level of concern posed by exposure to the ingredients in this product - not the product itself - compared to other product formulations. The ratings reflect potential health hazards but do not account for the level of exposure or individual susceptibility, factors which determine actual health risks, if any. Learn more | Legal Disclaimer
ABOUT EWG VERIFIED™
Beyond providing Skin Deep® as an educational tool for consumers, EWG offers its EWG VERIFIED™ mark as a quick and easily identifiable way of conveying personal care products that meet EWG's strict health criteria. Before a company can use EWG VERIFIED™ on such products, the company must show that it fully discloses the products' ingredients on their labels or packaging, they do not contain EWG ingredients of concern, and are made with good manufacturing practices, among other criteria. Note that EWG receives licensing fees from all EWG VERIFIED™ member companies that help to support the important work we do. Learn more | Legal Disclaimer