- Products with this ingredient are allowed for use in EWG VERIFIED but must meet use restrictions and warnings based on EWG review of company data.
- Products with the EWG VERIFIED mark have met use restrictions and warnings based on EWG review of company data.
Other ConcernsUse restrictions (moderate) and Irritation (skin, eyes, or lungs) (high)
Restricted: EWG VERIFIED products cannot contain this ingredient without adequate substantiation
Citral is a naturally occurring scent ingredient; manufactured synthetically on a large scale; associated with allergies and contact dermatitis.
See how this product scores for common concerns.
HIGHAllergies & Immunotoxicity
LOWDevelopmental and Reproductive Toxicity
- DATA SOURCES
Products with this Ingredient
|fragrance for women||290 products|
|facial moisturizer/treatment||148 products|
|hair treatment/serum||118 products|
|fragrance for men||112 products|
|hair styling aide||98 products|
|lip balm||91 products|
|serums & essences||79 products|
|body spray||63 products|
|hand cream||62 products|
|styling gel/lotion||60 products|
|body wash/cleanser||56 products|
|daily use with SPF||52 products|
|facial cleanser||50 products|
|antiperspirant/deodorant (men's)||42 products|
|liquid hand soap||40 products|
|lip gloss||39 products|
|body oil||34 products|
|bar soap||33 products|
|hair spray||27 products|
|lip balm with SPF||24 products|
|CC cream||22 products|
|after shave||19 products|
|hair color and bleaching||18 products|
|sunless tanning||17 products|
|hand sanitizer||15 products|
|styling mousse/foam||14 products|
|around-eye cream||11 products|
|makeup primer||11 products|
|body firming lotion||9 products|
|beard care||9 products|
|bath oil/salts/soak||8 products|
|shaving cream||8 products|
|beard oil||8 products|
|foot moisturizer||7 products|
|makeup remover||7 products|
|lip plumper||7 products|
|facial powder||7 products|
|setting powder/spray||7 products|
|nail treatment||6 products|
|after sun product||5 products|
|recreational sunscreen||5 products|
|cuticle treatment||4 products|
|bubble bath||3 products|
|tanning oil||3 products|
|muscle/joint soreness||3 products|
|skin fading/lightener||3 products|
|other eye makeup||3 products|
|hair relaxer||2 products|
|body powder||2 products|
|eyelash glue||2 products|
|foot odor control||1 products|
|shaving cream (men's)||1 products|
|oil controller||1 products|
|polish remover||1 products|
|eye makeup remover||1 products|
|BB cream||1 products|
|baby oil||1 products|
|baby lotion||1 products|
|beard cleanser||1 products|
|brow liner||1 products|
|nail glue||1 products|
|Known human immune system toxicant or allergen||SCCPNFP Opinion on Fragrance Allergy|
|Human any toxicant or allergen - strong evidence||Open scientific literature|
|Possible human any toxicant or allergen||Open scientific literature|
|Limited evidence of immune system toxicity or allergies||CPS&Q - Classification & Labelling|
Irritation (skin, eyes, or lungs)
|Classified as irritant||CPS&Q - Classification & Labelling|
|Recommended restricted in cosmetics - use, concentration, or manufacturing restrictions - Fragrance subject to restrictions: safe only within recommended use or concentration limitsn)||International Fragrance Association Codes & Standards|
|Restricted in cosmetics - labeling requirement for allergens||CosIng|
|740 studies in PubMed science library may include information on the toxicity of this chemical||NLM PubMed|
Multiple, additive exposure sources
|Designated as safe for general or specific, limited use in food||FDA Everything Added to Food|
|Not suspected to be an environmental toxin||Environment Canada Domestic Substance List|
Organ system toxicity (non-reproductive)
|Classified as not expected to be potentially toxic or harmful||Environment Canada Domestic Substance List|
Persistence and bioaccumulation
|Not suspected to be persistent||Environment Canada Domestic Substance List|
|Not suspected to be bioaccumulative||Environment Canada Domestic Substance List|
- SCCPNFP (Scientific Committee On Cosmetic Products And Non-Food Products). 1999. Opinion Concerning Fragrance Allergy In Consumers. . SCCNFP/0017/98 Final, December 1999; and SCCPNFP (Scientific Committee On Cosmetic Products And Non-Food Products). 2000. An Initial List Of Perfumery Materials Which Must Not Form Part Of Fragrances Compounds Used In Cosmetic Products. SCCNFP/0320/00, final May 2000.
- Open scientific/peer reviewed literature
- CPS&Q (Consumer Products Safety & Quality) formely known as ECB (European Chemicals Bureau). 2008. Classification and Labelling: Chemicals: Annex VI of Directive 67/548/EEC through the 31st ATP.
- IFRA (International Fragrance Association). 2006. Codes and Standards.
- European Commission. 2013. Cosing, the European Commission database with information on cosmetic substances and ingredients. Accessed on March 1, 2013 at http://ec.europa.eu/consumers/cosmetics/cosing/ .
- NLM (National Library of Medicine). 2012. PubMed online scientific bibliography data. http://www.pubmed.gov.
- FDA (U.S. Food and Drug Administration). 2008. EAFUS [Everything Added to Food]: A Food Additive Database. FDA Office of Food Safety and Applied Nutrition.
- EC (Environment Canada). 2008. Domestic Substances List Categorization. Canadian Environmental Protection Act (CEPA) Environmental Registry.
Cosmetics and personal care products are not required to be tested for safety before being allowed on the market. The Skin Deep® scoring system was designed to help the public understand whether a product is safe to use or whether it contains ingredients of concern.
Every product and ingredient in Skin Deep gets a two-part score – one for hazard and one for data availability. The safest products score well by both measures, with a low hazard rating and a fair or better data availability rating.HOW WE DETERMINE SCORES
The Skin Deep ingredient hazard score, from 1 to 10, reflects known and suspected hazards linked to the ingredients. The EWG VERIFIED® mark means a product meets EWG’s strictest criteria for transparency and health.
The Skin Deep data availability rating reflects the number of scientific studies about the product or ingredient in the published scientific literature.