Cancer: Ingredients linked to cancer in government, industry or academic studies or assessments.
Developmental & Reproductive Toxicity
Developmental and reproductive toxicity: Ingredients linked to developmental and reproductive toxicity, a broad class of health effects that range from infertility and reproductive organ cancers to birth defects and developmental delays in children.
Allergies & Immunotoxicity
Allergies and immunotoxicity: Ingredients linked to harm to the immune system, a class of health problems that manifest as allergic reactions or an impaired capacity to fight disease and repair damaged tissue in the body.
Products with this Ingredient
|lip gloss||111 products|
|fragrance for women||94 products|
|fragrance for men||29 products|
|facial moisturizer/treatment||28 products|
|hair treatment/serum||28 products|
|hair styling aide||27 products|
|body wash/cleanser||26 products|
|serums & essences||25 products|
|lip balm||24 products|
|eye shadow||15 products|
|hair spray||14 products|
|lip plumper||14 products|
|facial cleanser||14 products|
|hand cream||12 products|
|hair color and bleaching||9 products|
|styling gel/lotion||8 products|
|bath oil/salts/soak||8 products|
|body firming lotion||7 products|
|body spray||7 products|
|makeup primer||7 products|
|liquid hand soap||7 products|
|styling mousse/foam||6 products|
|sunless tanning||6 products|
|body oil||6 products|
|antiperspirant/deodorant (men's)||6 products|
|bar soap||4 products|
|lip balm with SPF||4 products|
|brow liner||4 products|
|makeup remover||3 products|
|beach & sport sunscreen||3 products|
|shaving cream||3 products|
|cuticle treatment||2 products|
|around-eye cream||2 products|
|nail treatment||2 products|
|bubble bath||2 products|
|beard oil||2 products|
|foot moisturizer||2 products|
|hair relaxer||2 products|
|moisturizer with SPF||2 products|
|muscle/joint soreness||1 products|
|facial powder||1 products|
|oil controller||1 products|
|foot cleansing||1 products|
|vapor rubs||1 products|
|hand sanitizer||1 products|
|diaper cream||1 products|
|after shave||1 products|
|after sun product||1 products|
|polish remover||1 products|
|baby shampoo||1 products|
|eye makeup remover||1 products|
|Known human any toxicant or allergen||Opinion on Frangrance allergens in cosmetics (2011), EU Cosmetics Directive|
|Possible human immune system toxicant or allergen||SCCPNFP, 1999 "Opinion Concerning Fragrance Allergy In Consumers," Scientific Committee On Cosmetic Products And Non-Food Products. SCCNFP/0017/98 Final, December 1999.|
|Allowed workplace exposures restricted to low doses||CPS&Q - Classification & Labelling|
|Recommended restricted in cosmetics - use, concentration, or manufacturing restrictions - Fragrance subject to restrictions: safe only within recommended use or concentration limitsn)||IFRA 1/2020|
|Restricted in cosmetics - labeling requirement for allergens||CosIng|
|Wildlife and environmental toxicity||CPS&Q - Classification & Labelling|
|Not suspected to be an environmental toxin||Environment Canada Domestic Substance List|
|Benzyl benzoate demonstrated estrogenic activity by increasing the proliferation of breast cancer cells in vitro.||Charles AK, Darbre PD 2009. Oestrogenic activity of benzyl salicylate, benzyl benzoate and butylphenylmethylpropional (Lilial) in MCF7 human breast cancer cells in vitro. J Appl Toxicol. 29(5):422-34.|
|467 studies in PubMed science library may include information on the toxicity of this chemical||NLM PubMed|
Multiple, additive exposure sources
|Designated as safe for general or specific, limited use in food||FDA Everything Added to Food|
|Industry or government recommendations for safe use: restrictions on concentration, impurities, product types, or manufacturing methods - any||IJT 36(Suppl 3):5-30, 2017|
Organ system toxicity (non-reproductive)
|Classified as not expected to be potentially toxic or harmful||Environment Canada Domestic Substance List|
|Classified as a low human health priority||Environment Canada Domestic Substance List|
Persistence and bioaccumulation
|Not suspected to be persistent||Environment Canada Domestic Substance List|
|Not suspected to be bioaccumulative||Environment Canada Domestic Substance List|
- Opinion on Frangrance allergens in cosmetics (2011), EU Cosmetics Directive
- SCCPNFP, 1999 "Opinion Concerning Fragrance Allergy In Consumers," Scientific Committee On Cosmetic Products And Non-Food Products. SCCNFP/0017/98 Final, December 1999.
- CPS&Q (Consumer Products Safety & Quality) formely known as ECB (European Chemicals Bureau). 2008. Classification and Labelling: Chemicals: Annex VI of Directive 67/548/EEC through the 31st ATP.
- IFRA 1/2020
- European Commission. 2013. Cosing, the European Commission database with information on cosmetic substances and ingredients. Accessed on March 1, 2013 at http://ec.europa.eu/consumers/cosmetics/cosing/ .
- EC (Environment Canada). 2008. Domestic Substances List Categorization. Canadian Environmental Protection Act (CEPA) Environmental Registry.
- Charles AK, Darbre PD 2009. Oestrogenic activity of benzyl salicylate, benzyl benzoate and butylphenylmethylpropional (Lilial) in MCF7 human breast cancer cells in vitro. J Appl Toxicol. 29(5):422-34.
- NLM (National Library of Medicine). 2012. PubMed online scientific bibliography data. http://www.pubmed.gov.
- FDA (U.S. Food and Drug Administration). 2008. EAFUS [Everything Added to Food]: A Food Additive Database. FDA Office of Food Safety and Applied Nutrition.
- IJT 36(Suppl 3):5-30, 2017
- Products with the EWG VERIFIED mark have met use restrictions and warnings based on EWG review of company data.
ABOUT THE SKIN DEEP® RATINGS
EWG provides information on personal care product ingredients from the published scientific literature, to supplement incomplete data available from companies and the government. The ratings below indicate the relative level of concern posed by exposure to the ingredients in this product - not the product itself - compared to other product formulations. The ratings reflect potential health hazards but do not account for the level of exposure or individual susceptibility, factors which determine actual health risks, if any. Learn more | Legal Disclaimer
ABOUT EWG VERIFIED™
Beyond providing Skin Deep® as an educational tool for consumers, EWG offers its EWG VERIFIED™ mark as a quick and easily identifiable way of conveying personal care products that meet EWG's strict health criteria. Before a company can use EWG VERIFIED™ on such products, the company must show that it fully discloses the products' ingredients on their labels or packaging, they do not contain EWG ingredients of concern, and are made with good manufacturing practices, among other criteria. Note that EWG receives licensing fees from all EWG VERIFIED™ member companies that help to support the important work we do. Learn more | Legal Disclaimer