Cancer: Ingredients linked to cancer in government, industry or academic studies or assessments.
Developmental & Reproductive Toxicity
Developmental and reproductive toxicity: Ingredients linked to developmental and reproductive toxicity, a broad class of health effects that range from infertility and reproductive organ cancers to birth defects and developmental delays in children.
Allergies & Immunotoxicity
Allergies and immunotoxicity: Ingredients linked to harm to the immune system, a class of health problems that manifest as allergic reactions or an impaired capacity to fight disease and repair damaged tissue in the body.
Products with this Ingredient
|lip gloss||83 products|
|fragrance for women||70 products|
|facial moisturizer/treatment||28 products|
|body wash/cleanser||23 products|
|moisturizer with SPF||21 products|
|serums & essences||21 products|
|lip balm||19 products|
|lip balm with SPF||17 products|
|eye shadow||13 products|
|fragrance for men||12 products|
|hair styling aide||11 products|
|hair treatment/serum||10 products|
|facial cleanser||10 products|
|hair color and bleaching||9 products|
|beach & sport sunscreen||9 products|
|hand cream||8 products|
|body oil||8 products|
|hair spray||7 products|
|bath oil/salts/soak||7 products|
|styling gel/lotion||5 products|
|lip plumper||5 products|
|body firming lotion||5 products|
|styling mousse/foam||4 products|
|makeup primer||4 products|
|body spray||4 products|
|brow liner||4 products|
|sunless tanning||3 products|
|bar soap||3 products|
|makeup remover||3 products|
|BB cream||3 products|
|liquid hand soap||2 products|
|baby shampoo||2 products|
|shaving cream||2 products|
|beard oil||2 products|
|vapor rubs||2 products|
|Facial Sun Care||2 products|
|hair relaxer||1 products|
|after shave||1 products|
|facial powder||1 products|
|antiperspirant/deodorant (men's)||1 products|
|after sun product||1 products|
|baby lotion||1 products|
|baby bubble bath||1 products|
|baby oil||1 products|
|polish remover||1 products|
|oil controller||1 products|
|bubble bath||1 products|
|Known human any toxicant or allergen||Opinion on Frangrance allergens in cosmetics (2011), EU Cosmetics Directive|
|Possible human immune system toxicant or allergen||SCCPNFP, 1999 "Opinion Concerning Fragrance Allergy In Consumers," Scientific Committee On Cosmetic Products And Non-Food Products. SCCNFP/0017/98 Final, December 1999.|
|Allowed workplace exposures restricted to low doses||CPS&Q - Classification & Labelling|
|Wildlife and environmental toxicity||CPS&Q - Classification & Labelling|
|Not suspected to be an environmental toxin||Environment Canada Domestic Substance List|
|Associated with endocrine disruption||Charles AK, Darbre PD 2009. Oestrogenic activity of benzyl salicylate, benzyl benzoate and butylphenylmethylpropional (Lilial) in MCF7 human breast cancer cells in vitro. J Appl Toxicol. 29(5):422-34.|
|467 studies in PubMed science library may include information on the toxicity of this chemical||NLM PubMed|
Multiple, additive exposure sources
|Designated as safe for general or specific, limited use in food||FDA Everything Added to Food|
|Industry or government recommendations for safe use: restrictions on concentration, impurities, product types, or manufacturing methods - any||IJT 36(Suppl 3):5-30, 2017|
Organ system toxicity (non-reproductive)
|Classified as not expected to be potentially toxic or harmful||Environment Canada Domestic Substance List|
|Classified as a low human health priority||Environment Canada Domestic Substance List|
Persistence and bioaccumulation
|Not suspected to be persistent||Environment Canada Domestic Substance List|
|Not suspected to be bioaccumulative||Environment Canada Domestic Substance List|
|Restricted in cosmetics - labeling requirement for allergens||CosIng|
- Opinion on Frangrance allergens in cosmetics (2011), EU Cosmetics Directive
- SCCPNFP, 1999 "Opinion Concerning Fragrance Allergy In Consumers," Scientific Committee On Cosmetic Products And Non-Food Products. SCCNFP/0017/98 Final, December 1999.
- CPS&Q (Consumer Products Safety & Quality) formely known as ECB (European Chemicals Bureau). 2008. Classification and Labelling: Chemicals: Annex VI of Directive 67/548/EEC through the 31st ATP.
- EC (Environment Canada). 2008. Domestic Substances List Categorization. Canadian Environmental Protection Act (CEPA) Environmental Registry.
- Charles AK, Darbre PD 2009. Oestrogenic activity of benzyl salicylate, benzyl benzoate and butylphenylmethylpropional (Lilial) in MCF7 human breast cancer cells in vitro. J Appl Toxicol. 29(5):422-34.
- NLM (National Library of Medicine). 2012. PubMed online scientific bibliography data. http://www.pubmed.gov.
- FDA (U.S. Food and Drug Administration). 2008. EAFUS [Everything Added to Food]: A Food Additive Database. FDA Office of Food Safety and Applied Nutrition.
- IJT 36(Suppl 3):5-30, 2017
- European Commission. 2013. Cosing, the European Commission database with information on cosmetic substances and ingredients. Accessed on March 1, 2013 at http://ec.europa.eu/consumers/cosmetics/cosing/ .
ABOUT THE SKIN DEEP® RATINGS
EWG provides information on personal care product ingredients from the published scientific literature, to supplement incomplete data available from companies and the government. The ratings below indicate the relative level of concern posed by exposure to the ingredients in this product - not the product itself - compared to other product formulations. The ratings reflect potential health hazards but do not account for the level of exposure or individual susceptibility, factors which determine actual health risks, if any. Learn more | Legal Disclaimer
ABOUT EWG VERIFIED™
Beyond providing Skin Deep® as an educational tool for consumers, EWG offers its EWG VERIFIED™ mark as a quick and easily identifiable way of conveying personal care products that meet EWG's strict health criteria. Before a company can use EWG VERIFIED™ on such products, the company must show that it fully discloses the products' ingredients on their labels or packaging, they do not contain EWG ingredients of concern, and are made with good manufacturing practices, among other criteria. Note that EWG receives licensing fees from all EWG VERIFIED™ member companies that help to support the important work we do. Learn more | Legal Disclaimer