Aluminum Starch Octenylsuccinate
- Products with the EWG VERIFIED mark have met the program’s impurity and use restrictions based on EWG's review of the company's data.
Other ConcernsUse restrictions (low), Non-reproductive organ system toxicity (low), and Contamination concerns (high)
Restricted: EWG VERIFIED products cannot contain this ingredient without adequate substantiation
This ingredient is an aluminum salt of chemically modified starch.
See how this product scores for common concerns.
LOWAllergies & Immunotoxicity
LOWDevelopmental and Reproductive Toxicity
- DATA SOURCES
Products with this Ingredient
|eye shadow||65 products|
|recreational sunscreen||52 products|
|lip liner||47 products|
|facial moisturizer/treatment||43 products|
|facial powder||32 products|
|daily use with SPF||31 products|
|antiperspirant/deodorant (men's)||21 products|
|setting powder/spray||21 products|
|hand cream||16 products|
|serums & essences||13 products|
|around-eye cream||9 products|
|makeup primer||7 products|
|BB cream||7 products|
|hair styling aide||6 products|
|hair spray||6 products|
|fragrance for women||6 products|
|after shave||6 products|
|body powder||5 products|
|body firming lotion||3 products|
|hair treatment/serum||2 products|
|lip balm||2 products|
|hand sanitizer||2 products|
|lip balm with SPF||2 products|
|lip gloss||2 products|
|sunless tanning||2 products|
|brow liner||2 products|
|foot moisturizer||1 products|
|after sun product||1 products|
|tanning oil||1 products|
|foot odor control||1 products|
|hair color and bleaching||1 products|
|damaged skin treatment||1 products|
|baby sunscreen||1 products|
|facial cleanser||1 products|
|body spray||1 products|
Organ system toxicity (non-reproductive)
|Limited evidence of any toxicity||Scorecard.org Toxicity Information|
|Classified as not expected to be potentially toxic or harmful||Environment Canada Domestic Substance List|
|Determined safe for use in cosmetics, subject to concentration or use limitations - Safe for use in cosmetics with some qualifications||Cosmetic Ingredient Review Assessments|
|Uncertain environmental toxin and uncertain persistent or bioaccumulative||Environment Canada Domestic Substance List|
|1 studies in PubMed science library may include information on the toxicity of this chemical||NLM PubMed|
Multiple, additive exposure sources
|Designated as safe for general or specific, limited use in food||FDA Everything Added to Food|
- ED (Environmental Defense). 2006. Scorecard _ The Pollution Information Site. http://www.scorecard.org.
- EC (Environment Canada). 2008. Domestic Substances List Categorization. Canadian Environmental Protection Act (CEPA) Environmental Registry.
- CIR (Cosmetic Ingredient Review). 2006. CIR Compendium, containing abstracts, discussions, and conclusions of CIR cosmetic ingredient safety assessments. Washington DC.
- NLM (National Library of Medicine). 2012. PubMed online scientific bibliography data. http://www.pubmed.gov.
- FDA (U.S. Food and Drug Administration). 2008. EAFUS [Everything Added to Food]: A Food Additive Database. FDA Office of Food Safety and Applied Nutrition.
Cosmetics and personal care products are not required to be tested for safety before being allowed on the market. The Skin Deep® scoring system was designed to help the public understand whether a product is safe to use or whether it contains ingredients of concern.
Every product and ingredient in Skin Deep gets a two-part score – one for hazard and one for data availability. The safest products score well by both measures, with a low hazard rating and a fair or better data availability rating.HOW WE DETERMINE SCORES
The Skin Deep ingredient hazard score, from 1 to 10, reflects known and suspected hazards linked to the ingredients. The EWG VERIFIED® mark means a product meets EWG’s strictest criteria for transparency and health.
The Skin Deep data availability rating reflects the number of scientific studies about the product or ingredient in the published scientific literature.