Cancer: Ingredients linked to cancer in government, industry or academic studies or assessments.
Developmental & Reproductive Toxicity
Developmental and reproductive toxicity: Ingredients linked to developmental and reproductive toxicity, a broad class of health effects that range from infertility and reproductive organ cancers to birth defects and developmental delays in children.
Allergies & Immunotoxicity
Allergies and immunotoxicity: Ingredients linked to harm to the immune system, a class of health problems that manifest as allergic reactions or an impaired capacity to fight disease and repair damaged tissue in the body.
Products with this Ingredient
|fragrance for women||131 products|
|beach & sport sunscreen||120 products|
|facial moisturizer/treatment||69 products|
|serums & essences||63 products|
|fragrance for men||56 products|
|hair spray||53 products|
|body spray||51 products|
|hair color and bleaching||36 products|
|moisturizer with SPF||34 products|
|body wash/cleanser||27 products|
|brow liner||25 products|
|eye liner||24 products|
|eye shadow||21 products|
|facial cleanser||19 products|
|makeup primer||12 products|
|hair styling aide||10 products|
|sunless tanning||8 products|
|body firming lotion||8 products|
|BB cream||8 products|
|hair treatment/serum||8 products|
|around-eye cream||7 products|
|hand sanitizer||6 products|
|lip liner||6 products|
|antiperspirant/deodorant (men's)||6 products|
|liquid hand soap||6 products|
|styling gel/lotion||4 products|
|nail polish||4 products|
|facial powder||4 products|
|CC cream||4 products|
|oil controller||3 products|
|after sun product||3 products|
|bath oil/salts/soak||2 products|
|makeup remover||2 products|
|shaving cream||2 products|
|after shave||1 products|
|foot moisturizer||1 products|
|makeup with SPF||1 products|
|shaving cream (men's)||1 products|
|body oil||1 products|
|baby sunscreen||1 products|
|baby wipes||1 products|
|beard oil||1 products|
|nail treatment||1 products|
|other eye makeup||1 products|
|baby shampoo||1 products|
|polish remover||1 products|
|pore strips||1 products|
Enhanced skin absorption
|Ethanol has been found to act as a penetration enhancer for many chemicals.||Mutalik S, Udupa N "Effect of some penetration enhancers on the permeation of glibenclamide and glipizide through mouse skin." Pharmazie. 2003 Dec;58(12):891-4. ; Brand RM, Jendrzejewski JL, Henery EM, Charron AR. A single oral dose of ethanol can alter transdermal absorption of topically applied chemicals in rats. Toxicol Sci. 2006 Aug;92(2):349-55. Epub 2006 May 5.|
Organ system toxicity (non-reproductive)
|Classified as expected to be toxic or harmful||Environment Canada Domestic Substance List|
|Classified as medium human health priority||Environment Canada Domestic Substance List|
|Limited evidence of sense organ toxicity||Harvell, J, M. Bason and H. Maibach. Contact Urticaria and its Mechanisms. Food Chemistry and Toxicology 32(2): 103-112. 1994. (Table 2: Substances identified as capable of causing contact urticaria).|
Multiple, additive exposure sources
|Used in food or as an additive with limited or no toxicity information available||FDA Everything Added to Food|
|Designated as safe for general or specific, limited use in food||FDA Food Additive Status|
|Insufficient data to determine safety||IJT 27 (S1):1-43, 2008|
|78649 studies in PubMed science library may include information on the toxicity of this chemical||NLM PubMed|
|Occupational hazards related to handling||CPS&Q - Classification & Labelling|
|Not suspected to be an environmental toxin||Environment Canada Domestic Substance List|
Persistence and bioaccumulation
|Not suspected to be bioaccumulative||Environment Canada Domestic Substance List|
- Mutalik S, Udupa N "Effect of some penetration enhancers on the permeation of glibenclamide and glipizide through mouse skin." Pharmazie. 2003 Dec;58(12):891-4. ; Brand RM, Jendrzejewski JL, Henery EM, Charron AR. A single oral dose of ethanol can alter transdermal absorption of topically applied chemicals in rats. Toxicol Sci. 2006 Aug;92(2):349-55. Epub 2006 May 5.
- EC (Environment Canada). 2008. Domestic Substances List Categorization. Canadian Environmental Protection Act (CEPA) Environmental Registry.
- Harvell, J, M. Bason and H. Maibach. Contact Urticaria and its Mechanisms. Food Chemistry and Toxicology 32(2): 103-112. 1994. (Table 2: Substances identified as capable of causing contact urticaria).
- FDA (U.S. Food and Drug Administration). 2008. EAFUS [Everything Added to Food]: A Food Additive Database. FDA Office of Food Safety and Applied Nutrition.
- FDA (U.S. Food and Drug Administration) 2006. Food Additive Status List. Downloaded from http://www.cfsan.fda.gov/%7Edms/opa-appa.html, Oct 16, 2006.
- IJT 27 (S1):1-43, 2008
- NLM (National Library of Medicine). 2012. PubMed online scientific bibliography data. http://www.pubmed.gov.
- CPS&Q (Consumer Products Safety & Quality) formely known as ECB (European Chemicals Bureau). 2008. Classification and Labelling: Chemicals: Annex VI of Directive 67/548/EEC through the 31st ATP.
ABOUT THE SKIN DEEP® RATINGS
EWG provides information on personal care product ingredients from the published scientific literature, to supplement incomplete data available from companies and the government. The ratings below indicate the relative level of concern posed by exposure to the ingredients in this product - not the product itself - compared to other product formulations. The ratings reflect potential health hazards but do not account for the level of exposure or individual susceptibility, factors which determine actual health risks, if any. Learn more | Legal Disclaimer
ABOUT EWG VERIFIED™
Beyond providing Skin Deep® as an educational tool for consumers, EWG offers its EWG VERIFIED™ mark as a quick and easily identifiable way of conveying personal care products that meet EWG's strict health criteria. Before a company can use EWG VERIFIED™ on such products, the company must show that it fully discloses the products' ingredients on their labels or packaging, they do not contain EWG ingredients of concern, and are made with good manufacturing practices, among other criteria. Note that EWG receives licensing fees from all EWG VERIFIED™ member companies that help to support the important work we do. Learn more | Legal Disclaimer