about this participant:
Donalin Cazeau, a student from Dorchester, MA, participated in the 2007 biomonitoring investigation entitled "EWG Study #10, cosmetic chemicals in teens." She gave blood and urine for the study on September 25, 2007 at age 19.
September 25, 2007
health & safety concerns:
|chemicals found in this person|
|Immune system (including sensitization and allergies)||5|
|Chronic effects, general||3|
|Gastrointestinal (including liver)||1|
Participant: Donalin Cazeau
Found 13 of 25 tested chemicals
Donalin Cazeau's blood and urine contained 13 of 25 industrial compounds, pollutants and other chemicals tested, including chemicals linked to immune system toxicity, respiratory system toxicity, and endocrine system toxicity.
- This participant's samples show above average levels of Parabens, Nitro- and polycylic- musks, Triclosan and Phthalates compared to all others in EWG studies
Summary of chemicals found in Donalin Cazeau
|chemical family||level found||health effects||exposure routes|
|Nitro- and polycylic- musks||high||Endocrine system||Cosmetics, perfumes, cleaning agents, detergents, soaps|
|Parabens||high||Personal care products, some foods, beverages, and medications|
|Phthalates||moderate||Endocrine system||Cosmetics, paint, soft plastic, food packaging, and other consumer products|
|Triclosan||moderate||Endocrine system, Skin||Antibacterial soap, toothpaste, cosmetics, cleaning products, shoe insoles, plastic cutting boards, other antibacterial items|
Test results by chemical family (see each chemical)
1 of 11 found — see each chemical
Fragrance ingredients. Build up in human tissues. May harm hormone system.
- cumulative level found: 0.946 ng/g (wet weight) in blood serum
- High vs 42 tested in EWG/Commonweal studies (79th %ile)
|0||ng/g (wet weight) in blood serum||4.23|
Total Nitro- and polycylic- musks
4 of 6 found — see each chemical
Preservatives in cosmetics. Cause skin irritation and allergies. May be linked to hormone disruption and breast cancer.
- cumulative level found: 1020 ug/g creatinine in urine
- High vs 28 tested in EWG/Commonweal studies (97th %ile)
|8.39||ug/g creatinine in urine||3820|
7 of 7 found — see each chemical
In cosmetics, paint, and plastics. Linked to sperm damage and birth defects of male reproductive system.
- cumulative level found: 309 ug/g creatinine in urine
- Moderate vs 72 tested in EWG/Commonweal studies (48th %ile)
- Moderate vs 8,020 tested in CDC biomonitoring  (52nd %ile) (comparison based on congeners tested by CDC)
|102||ug/g creatinine in urine||10800|
1 of 1 found
Antibacterial agent (pesticide) in liquid hand soap, toothpaste, cosmetics, cleaning products, footwear, and plastic products labeled "antibacterial." Triclosan may disrupt thyroid hormones, and can form several chemicals with health and environmental concerns.
- level found: 5.69 ug/g creatinine in urine
- Moderate vs 28 tested in EWG/Commonweal studies (58th %ile)
- Moderate vs 2,612 tested in CDC biomonitoring  (48th %ile) (comparison based on congeners tested by CDC)
|0||ug/g creatinine in urine||350|
Chemicals not found in Donalin Cazeau
 CDC (2005). National Report on Human Exposure to Environmental Chemicals, Centers for Disease Control. http://www.cdc.gov/exposurereport/. (Methylmercury results have been compared to total mercury in CDC biomonitoring.)