about this participant:
Nora Pouillon, a chef from Washington, DC, participated in the 2006 biomonitoring investigation entitled "EWG Study #5, Teflon and mercury in blood in adults and teens." She gave blood for the study on November 17, 2004 at age 59.
November 17, 2004
health & safety concerns:
|chemicals found in this person|
|Birth defects and developmental delays||2|
|Immune system (including sensitization and allergies)||1|
|Hematologic (blood) system||1|
|Reproduction and fertility||1|
Participant: Nora Pouillon
Found 9 of 14 tested chemicals
Nora Pouillon's blood contained 9 of 14 industrial compounds, pollutants and other chemicals tested, including chemicals linked to cancer, birth defects and developmental delays, and behavioral effects.
- This participant's samples show the highest levels of Perfluorochemicals (PFCs) compared to all others in EWG studies
- This participant's samples show above average levels of Methylmercury, compared to all others in EWG studies
Summary of chemicals found in Nora Pouillon
|chemical family||level found||health effects||exposure routes|
|Methylmercury||high||Dietary sources, particularly seafood|
|Perfluorochemicals (PFCs)||high||Cancer, Birth defects and developmental delays, Endocrine system||Stain- and grease-proof coatings on food packaging, couches, carpets, pans|
Test results by chemical family (see each chemical)
1 of 1 found
Forms from mercury, a pollutant from coal-fired power plants and other sources. Methylmercury accumulates in seafood and harms brain development and function.
- level found: 4.98 ug/L (wet weight) in whole blood
- Moderate vs 88 tested in EWG/Commonweal studies (72nd %ile)
- High vs 8,373 tested in CDC biomonitoring  (97th %ile) (comparison based on congeners tested by CDC)
|0||ug/L (wet weight) in whole blood||25.9|
8 of 13 found — see each chemical
Includes Teflon, Scotchgard, Stainmaster. Linked to cancer and birth defects.
- cumulative level found: 59.7 ng/g (wet weight) in blood serum
- High vs 8 tested in EWG/Commonweal studies (99th %ile)
|8.51||ng/g (wet weight) in blood serum||59.7|
Total Perfluorochemicals (PFCs)
Chemicals not found in Nora Pouillon
 CDC (2005). National Report on Human Exposure to Environmental Chemicals, Centers for Disease Control. http://www.cdc.gov/exposurereport/. (Methylmercury results have been compared to total mercury in CDC biomonitoring.)