Take Action: Get Perchlorate Out of Your Food and Water!
FDA Food Testing Shows Widespread Rocket Fuel Contamination of Commonly Consumed Foods and Beverages : Take Action: Get Perchlorate Out of Your Food and Water!
Call your local water provider. Ask if they have tested for perchlorate in your drinking water.
If they have tested and found perchlorate, consider investing in a reverse osmosis filter, which can help you reduce or eliminate perchlorate in your water.
If they haven't tested for perchlorate, ask that they do.
Ask your US Senators to support the Protecting Pregnant Women and Children From Perchlorate Act of 2007 (S 150).
Ask your US Representative to support the Safe Drinking Water for Healthy Communities Act of 2007 (HR 1747).
Contact them by calling the Capitol Switchboard at (202) 224-3121 or click here to look up their phone numbers.
Both of these pieces of legislation will help get rocket fuel out of your drinking water and ensure that drinking water standards for perchlorate are safe for children and other vulnerable populations.
- Call your state senators and representatives and urge them to take action to make your drinking water safe by removing perchlorate.
- There is a growing body of science confirming that perchlorate exposures present a major public health threat - especially to vulnerable populations like pregnant women, infants, and children.
- The EPA should promptly establish a safety standard for perchlorate in tap water. The standard should account for the CDC's findings, which show that exposures to perchlorate at levels far lower than the EPA's current safe dose have significant effects on the thyroid gland.
- The health-protective drinking water standard must account for widespread, significant exposures to perchlorate from food, especially among children, as was confirmed in a recent FDA report.
- FDA should provide consumers with guidance on choosing foods that reduce the risk of excess perchlorate exposures, particularly during pregnancy and early childhood.