EWG Demands Crop Insurance Reform and Stronger Environmental Protections in Farm Bill
Washington, D.C. – The Environmental Working Group (EWG) sent a letter to members of the 2013 Farm Bill conference committee today demanding a farm bill that reforms crop insurance and strengthens environmental protections.
EWG’s recommendations to conferees include:
- Relinking conservation compliance with crop insurance subsidies
- Supporting crop insurance means testing and transparency
- Eliminating coverage options that shift additional risk to taxpayers
- Reforming or removing new government subsidy programs
- Upholding strong measures in the conservation title
- Supporting nutrition assistance and nutrition education
- Supporting local and organic food programs
- Rejecting harmful provisions and riders
Click here to download the full letter.