Policy Plate BLOG
Your daily serving of food and farm policy.
Top Ten Reasons to Reject a “Farm Only” Farm Bill
The House should overwhelmingly reject the terrible “farm-only” farm bill being considered this morning. It’s bad enough that the bill fails to renew programs that help feed more than 47 million Americans, including millions of children, veterans and senior citizens. Here are ten more reasons to reject this bill. It:
1. Increases Crop Insurance Subsidies
2. Raises Price Guarantees
3. Extends Direct Payments for Cotton Farmers
4. Makes New Farm Subsidies “Permanent”
5. Excludes Crop Insurance Reforms.
6. Fails to Include Conservation Compliance
7. No Opportunity for Debate
8. Blocks State Safety Standards
9. Cut Conservation Programs
10.Weakens Environmental Protections
Read more at Ag Mag.
Read EWG’s Scott Faber’s statement on the “Farm Only” Farm Bill.
A new EWG analysis shows more than 1.2 million acres of farmland in the Corn Belt lost more precious topsoil in five days of heavy rain this spring than what is considered tolerable for an entire year, largely because of inadequate conservation practices.
See full report here.
Tweet of the Day:
@ChadPergram Heritage Action calls for nay vote on farm bill. Says "House could show its conservative values" instead.
Go here to sign up for Policy Plate: