Why Environmentalists (And Every American) Should Reject The House Farm Bill
The budget-busting farm bill approved Wednesday night by the House Agriculture Committee and its leaders – Reps. Frank Lucas (R-Okla.) and Collin Peterson (D-Minn.) – is nothing but bad news for the environment.
The Lucas-Peterson farm bill…
· Cuts conservation programs by $4.8 billion
· Increases greenhouse gas emissions
· Includes anti-environmental riders
· Weakens conservation requirements for subsidy recipients
· Guts state food and farm standards
· Cuts SNAP by a whopping $20 billion
· Raises price guarantees for commodity crops
· Expands crop insurance by $9 billion
· Provides few incentives for healthy diets
Click here for more on the House bill.
The Des Moines Register on the importance of cutting crop insurance to pay for vital programs like conservation and nutrition.
Tweet of the Day:
Go here to sign up for Policy Plate: