Environmental connections to public health >>
A cookbook for everyone on EWG's list
By Ken Cook, EWG President
My favorite gifts are recently released cookbooks. I love to give and get them. I know picking the right cookbook can be a challenge - especially when there are so many great ones these days to help us cook and eat healthier and more sustainably. Something to be thankful for!
Rather than struggle in the cookbook section by myself, I asked the EWG staff (some of whom even cook!) to put together a list of some of their favorite green cookbooks for this holiday season - ones they might like to receive (or already have and love!). They've seen more than a few in recent months, as we work more and more on the issues around healthy food and sustainable farming.
Without further ado, here are EWG Staff's 8 Top "Green" Cookbook Picks - I hope you find one that's a perfect fit for a loved one or just for yourself:
Quick note: If you shop through our special Amazon links (below with each cookbook), not only will you be able to conveniently shop online and snag a terrific cookbook for a cook in your life, you'll be supporting EWG at the same time - no matter what you purchase. So you support our work (thank you!) - at no extra cost to you! Now that's a gift that keeps on giving.
- The Earthbound Cook: 250 Recipes for Delicious Food and a Healthy Planet by Myra Goodman -- a beautiful and inspiring cookbook by the co-founder of Earthbound Farm with simple information on how to protect the planet one meal at a time. Click here to see more or purchase on Amazon.
- The Family Dinner: Great Ways to Connect with Your Kids, One Meal at a Time by Laurie David and Kirstin Uhrenholdt -- David enlists more than 50 child-care experts, writers, celebrities, activists, musicians, and chefs - including Nora Ephron, Maya Angelou, Judge Judy, Michael Pollan, Sheryl Crow, and Alice Waters -- in support of family mealtime rituals. Click here to see more or purchase on Amazon.
- Lunch Lessons: Changing the Way We Feed Our Children by Ann Cooper and Lisa Holmes - A great resource for busy parents who want to make sure their kids have healthy and tasty lunches. Click here to see more or purchase on Amazon.
- The Conscious Kitchen: The New Way to Buy and Cook Food - to Protect the Earth, Improve Your Health, and Eat Deliciously by Alexandra Zissu -- For anyone who longs to make easy green changes when it comes to the food they buy, cook, and eat, this is an invaluable resource filled with real world, practical solutions. Click here to see more or purchase on Amazon.
- Easy Green Organic by Anna Getty -- In this fact-filled guide and cookbook, Anna explains how to shop for organic, seasonal, and local ingredients, how to keep an eco-friendly kitchen, and how to cook meals that are as scrumptious to eat as they are healthy for you and the earth. Click here to see more or purchase on Amazon.
- Dr. Mercola's Total Health Cookbook & Program: 150 Delicious Grain-Free Recipes & Proven Metabolic Type Plan to Prevent Disease, Optimize Weight and Live Longer by Dr. Joseph Mercola - This two part book outlines over 150 healthy and delicious new recipes. Click here to see more or purchase on Amazon.
- In the Green Kitchen: Techniques to Learn by Heart by Alice Waters -- Ideal for the cooking novice, this book showcases basic cooking techniques every cook can and should master along with recipes using each method. Click here to see more or purchase on Amazon.
- Raising Baby Green: The Earth-Friendly Program for Healthy, Safe Nutrition by Dr. Alan Greene -- A great resource for new parents by the author of Raising Baby Green. He offers how-to-guidance and recipes in addition to his philosophy that we parents have everything to do with our kids' "nutritional intelligence" - for life! Click here to see more or purchase it on Amazon.
Happy Holidays & Bon Appetit!
PS - If you make a tax-deductible donation of $125 or more to EWG this month, you'll receive our new 2010 Holiday Gift Bag -- stuffed with a variety of eco-friendly products including one of our recommended cookbooks, The Earthbound Cook: 250 Recipes for Delicious Food and a Healthy Planet.