Feeding your mind, saving the planet >>
Nothing but scraps
- USDA Undersecretary Kathleen Merrigan went on California Public Radio yesterday to highlight local food’s economic vitality. "Every million dollars in sales through local markets supports thirteen jobs," she said. This compares to three jobs generated by every million dollars in sales in agricultural operations that don't have a local or regional focus.
- Food Safety News has the details on Iowa’s new ag –gag law.
- The Mitchell Daily Republic quotes Senator John Thune (R-S.D.) on the upcoming farm bill: “We need to make sure we create ag policy that provides an adequate safety net, makes ag production sustainable and is not damaging to the environment,”
- Sorry, Idaho Farm Bureau, there is no way that cutting direct payment farm subsidies will channel funds to food stamps.
- Commodity Classic, the single largest trade show in America for the growers of commodity crops is going on in Nashville Tennessee. Look for EWG tweets and commentary from the show floor starting tomorrow.
Tweet of the day:
Go here to sign up
Tips? Email us at [email protected]