EWG seeks a graphic designer who can create design solutions with high visual impact and inspire EWG's target audiences to take action. This role involves working in a dynamic, fast-paced and interdisciplinary environment that values flexibility, responsiveness and enthusiastic engagement with peers and supervisors. The graphic designer should seek to understand colleagues' needs and those of the target audience. The graphic designer translates those into visual designs that meet the goals of the project and align with EWG's brand identity and standards.
EWG's graphic designer is expected to lead the creative process by bringing ideas and concepts to colleagues and working through design revisions in a collaborative way. The designer will conceive and develop some creative designs independently and also provide direction to colleagues on EWG's web team and outside contractors to conceive and execute creative projects.
- Ask probing questions and listen actively in order to understand the needs and goals of EWG's teams for a particular design project;
- Develop innovative visual design concepts that suit the staff, engage the target audience and fit within the budget and time constraints of the project;
- Provide creative direction to team members to create designs that evoke EWG's brand and stimulate audiences to engage;
- Develop web and mobile designs for projects such as websites, microsites, web landing pages, social media and blog post graphics, email graphics and infographics;
- Develop designs for print products, including reports, brochures, consumer guides, marketing materials and event invitations;
- Envision, source and create high-quality graphics for EWG's web properties;
- Work collegially with other members of the web design team and participate in office training programs;
- Other duties as assigned.
- Minimum of 5 years' experience in graphic design;
- Demonstrated ability to create digital and print designs for EWG's target audience, including policymakers and women;
- Experience creating visual designs for web and mobile sites that engage consumers for fundraising, advocacy and education;
- Experience creating effective consumer-oriented print collateral for marketing and fundraising;
- Knowledge of best practices in topography and layout and familiarity with innovations and trends in visual design and the digital user experience;
- A bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university and 3 years of professional experience in business or government. Professional or non-professional experience as described above can substitute on a year-for-year basis for required college education;
- Advanced experience with Illustrator, PhotoShop, InDesign, Dreamweaver;
- Proficiency with the Adobe Creative Suite;
- Knowledge of current user experience trends for online and mobile technologies;
- Excellent organizational, communications and multi-tasking skills, with attention to detail;
- Ability to manage multiple projects with an eye for detail and quality;
- Ability to stay flexible in responding to day-to-day changes in priorities.
Location: Washington, D.C.
Send resume, cover letter, web design and development portfolio and date of availability, with the subject line "YOUR NAME: Web Designer," to firstname.lastname@example.org
No phone calls, please.