The Environmental Working Group (EWG) is a fast-paced, innovative non-profit seeking an organized, motivated individual to join our DC office. Our mission is to use the power of information to protect human health and the environment.
The Administrative Assistant/Receptionist position is a full-time position based in the Washington, DC office that interacts with the general public, press, legislators, donors, and every staff member on a regular basis.
- Answer & troubleshoot multi-line telephone, receive visitors, and accept deliveries.
- As EWG’S first point of contact with the public, respond to general email, mail, and phone inquiries for information in a pleasant manner. We do not forward calls - e answer them. This requires becoming intimately familiar with EWG’s research and operations. Some of these emails and phone calls require having a thick skin.
- A large number of our calls include donors, so you will be expected to troubleshoot donation issues
- Arrange travel, serve as proofreader, and provide general administrative assistance such as copying, faxing, scanning, data entry, distributing mail, and maintaining files for multiple staff members.
- Receive accounts payable and receivable. This includes making bank deposits, filing relevant paperwork, and managing a safe deposit box.
- Handle outgoing EWG mailings and assist with publication production and distribution.
- Maintain office equipment and office supply inventory. Research and recommend purchase of office equipment when necessary.
- Provide executive assistance to Vice President of Government Affairs and other Executive team members. This includes keeping calendars, completing timesheets, submitting expense reports, and maintaining correspondence files.
- Coordinate logistics for conference calls and meetings, including meals and setting up conference bridge codes.
- Assist with research, development, government affairs and HR projects as needed. This sometimes requires event planning such as planning logistics or arranging EWG staff to speak at events. Previous experience with event planning is desirable.
- This is a 2- person job that relies heavily on collaboration. An ideal candidate works will with one other person and is willing to evenly distribute tasks and responsibilities.
- Other duties, as assigned. This is a “roll up your sleeves” position.
- Bachelor’s degree (or equivalent)
- Demonstrated commitment to the environment and public health issues (strongly preferred)
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Related experience in non-profit sector (preferred)
- Related experience handling customers or general public on the phone or via email
- Outstanding attention to detail; dedication to go the extra mile
- Computer literacy (Internet, Excel, Word, and Outlook) and familiarity with Macs
- Experience using online fundraising platforms a plus (such as Salsa)
- Sense of humor a plus
To apply, send cover letter addressing above and resume to:
Brett Dorow, EWG, 1436 U Street NW, Suite 100, Washington, DC 20009.
Email: [email protected]. No phone calls please.